Best Places to Live

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Playa del Carmen, Mexico. It's cheap, you can own your own house/condo/land, and the diving is action-packed!

Oh yeeeaaahh. Mexico IS part of North America, I forgot. Good call.

I'm retired in south florida, working almost full time but retired. There's good beach diving 10 minutes away, there's good boat diving. Summers are hot and humid and winters drop down to the 60's.

I have an apartment on a canal, patio with my boat docked 10ft away. The beach is about a mile and half away and I have ocean access with no bridges. Apt and dockage is less than $1000 a month. Bad part/good part is it's near boat yards. I like watching the big yachts come and go but when they start up the unmuffled fork lift at 7 am on a saturday it kind of sucks. Ya get what you pay for.

I lived on Oahu for 20 years. Some great diving there in the Hawaiian Islands - caves, wrecks, sea mounts, huge damn sharks. Hawaii was also a gateway for my travels in the Pacific where there was also some most excellent diving and other amusements topside. I did everything that I wanted to do there except become a Bishop Estate trustee, and 20 years was enough.
I passed on opportunities to live in the Phillipines and Thailand - after I read "Heart of Darkness", life as a warlord on a plantation would have been too irresistable. I met guys that did move there, and they did exactly that, although not quite on the scale of Colonel Kurtz. No Costcos in SE Asia.
After Hawaii, I had the option to live pretty much anywhere I felt like, and every place has its pluses and minuses. For now, I live in Boca Raton close to the town-only boat ramp. It's a little too close to Miami-Dade county, and all that separates me from Broward county is a thin canal, but that will have to do.
With the glut of houses on the market, there are UNREAL deals to be had down here if you have your dough all lined up, although I guess you would be better off renting for a while.

Lots of great responses, thanks for all the input. Its good to see some home town pride, although votes for Boston stretch the limits of credibility. No votes for North Carolina?

I was surprised to read the votes for the PNW particularly from a California expat. I have never dived Puget Sound but I lived in both Seattle and Portland and can't bear the gloomy climate.

No big surprises with the South Florida votes. My thoughts were headed that way even though I think of the state as the Elephant's Graveyard. If I spend all my time in the water I could ignore the social scene.

Kudos on the Mexico vote, I did specify North America for a reason. Living in Australia I find the Asia Pacific area intriguing, although I fear it may be too exotic for the longer term.

Keep the suggestions coming. It may be valuable to save this thread as a sticky.

I plan to retire soon and relocate to a place with awesome local diving. I want to stay in North America and travel a bit in addition to local diving. Ideally, the location will have good shore diving and numerous offshore dives a short boat ride away.

Tell me about your experiences, either where you have lived, traveled to, or just heard about. Where is the Best Place to Live for local diving?

Florida...there is a lot of coastline to dive!

Oh man, loaded question. # forum watchers = # of potential responses for this question. In NA, I've dove Great Lakes, Monterey, Mexico, Florida Keys, Florida Caves, and NC Coast. I think for variety, its the Keys. For wreck and tech diving, its the NC coast.

Kudos on the Mexico vote, I did specify North America for a reason. Living in Australia I find the Asia Pacific area intriguing, although I fear it may be too exotic for the longer term.

Keep the suggestions coming. It may be valuable to save this thread as a sticky.

I've found that I can get used to living where ever I am. Belize is nice....Hawaii was nicer but expensive as hell..... but SE Asia is still is drawing me back after living there for 13 years (11 in the Philippines and 2 in Malaysia). If you can afford to buy a house outright, you could live on US$500 per month and do pretty well. This would be eating rice and local foods. You can get imported foods but it's expensive. Plus, the diving is all time. The Indo Pacific is the most species rich marine enviro on Earth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom