Best place to stay to dive Destin Jetties?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShallowDiverDave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I realize many of you live near Destin, so you can make short day trips and return home, but I live in Atlanta, and was wondering what would be the best place to stay (hotel/resort), if I was to plan a to dive the destin jetties? Basically, I'm looking for a place to walk right over to the jetties from the hotel. Thanks!

Wow... that's a good question.

There aren't that many places that are within easty walking distance thar are rentals. There's a few places down the road (like Jetty's East), but they are a good 300 to 500 yard walk the the beach access, and then you've got another 100 to 150 yard walk through the sand with gear to get to the Jetties.

The condo complex that is against the "beach access" (with the concrete wall), of the two buildings that are there, I don't think allows rentals. the one next to it might.

Maybe SeaYoda or someone there can do a recon run for you to see if there is anything there withing waling distance 'with scuba gear on'. I wouldn't trust the rental agency companies with their description. Just like in Ski resort towns they say "walking distance to slopes". Well walking on an icy road 300 yards in ski boots to get to the ski slopes is not really doable, where it is in a pair of hiking boots. So with scuba gear you have to factor that in also.

There is free public parking at the jetties beach acces, but it fills up quickly. Especially on the weekends.

That's one of the advtanges of the St Andrews Jetties. it's in a state park. Though you have to pay an entrance fee, it's worth it to be able to get a public beach parking spot.

anyone else have any suggestions?

BTW... you might get better responses if you ask to have your thread moved to the "North Florida/Panhandle trips" forum. Most of the panhandle divers pay more attention to that sub-forum.

thanks for your awesome response mike_s...btw, I also plan on doing the st. andrews dive in time :).

don't listen to that mike_s guy. heck, he is from AL, that isn't even near Destin. besides, I have met him, he spends all his time hitting on "taken" women on SB, instead of diving. if I ever caught him hitting on MY girl........

well, there would be one less person posting around here

:1poke: :whack: :maniac: :m16: :bigun2: :cut:

oh, by the way, are you going to Vortoberfest mike?

for a small fee, like a can of beanie-weanies, PHD can arrange for for a camper to be parked at the Jetties near the public beach entrance.

(It'll cost you extra if you want the crapper emptied.) :mooner: :confused:

I dunno about Vortoberfest. They chose a weekend that I don't have off that Friday. I'm hoping to come though. I'll all be last minute I'm sure....

If not, we're thinking about coming to PCB the weekend before. (Oct 7th weekend) The tides suck that weekend, so we were thinking about a dive at Morrison (or maybe Cypress) the Friday before or maybe Saturday morning. (if do the PCB trip, our LDS does an afternoon dive on Saturday typically.). A boat dive that friday (afternoon most likely) or saturday morning is also possible.

too bad the tides aren't better. I'm up for another jetty dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom