Best place to stay in Bonaire March 6th, 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We will be flying out of NYC on a direct, landing about 4:18pm.
At that point the stores are closed (so I have read). Where do you all recommend we go for dinner that's close to Golden Reef Inn?

You will have your vehicle, so I have to recommend Zeezicht, right in town. It is about a 5-10 minute max drive. I will give you directions when you get in. It is right across the street from Karel's Bar, you can sit on the porch and have a great dinner and enjoy the sunset on the water.....

See you soon!

Very good pizza before you get into town. Liz can direct you. It is on the left as you drive toward town. I have tested pizza all over the world :) which is one of the reasons I'm now on weight watchers :( and I was very impressed. Chicago is still #1 in my book but I ate pizza 3 times while I was in Bonaire.

I'm betting Sand Dollar is booked if Buddy's is already. But might look into it. We stayed there in December and loved it. Their dive shop is Bonaire Dive and Adventure (BDA) and their dock is right on Bari Reef which has the greatest diversity of marine life available.

Only word of caution on Sand Dollar is that they, like several places on Bonaire, are a condominium resort. Each of the units is owned by a private individual that allows their unit to be rented out when they are not using it. Ours was very good (B7) and I have heard very few complaints. But it is possible to get a unit that may not be up the average standard and you might be somewhat disappointed.

Like I said, we stayed there and will return to Sand Dollar but there is a small amount of risk involved in the quality of your accomodations.

You'll have a great experience at GRI! Don't go crazy worrying about boots, just make sure they aren't the soft sole type and you'll be fine. You don't need a pair of "rock boots", just boots with a good sole on them.

I'd suggest a boot with more of a structured hard sole. I just returned from my 9th trip, and I used to have a soft sole dive boot I wore locally, and it makes it a little difficult on some of the shore entries to secure footing. A couple of years ago I bought some new boots to use locally when I'm not dry suit diving (which is rare anymore...lol) and these are much more comfortable and secure on those rocky entries.

Granted, you don't need 5mm boots on Bonaire, but they are dual purpose for me.

Seasoft 6mm Stealth Titanium Heavy Duty Zipper Boots STB3 with reviews at scuba.com

Have a great trip:D

Booked the hotel with Golden Reef Inn!

LOL, now I need to decipher hard sole diving boots for those shore entries.

Curious, how does one add the countdown clock to the signature?

I just bought a pair of these to replace my old "boots". The old ones were great, but are not made anymore (why does this seem to be happening more and more :confused:).

They have really hard soles, much like "tennis shoes" or maybe even firmer. That's what you need to walk over the rocky (ironshore) beaches. I haven't used these yet (not for another 3 weeks) so I can't comment on durability, but I'm pleased so far, especially for the price. And they arrived in less than a week.

You will be happy you did! They are the right ones! Have a great trip! Stay safe and have fun:wink:

I just bought a pair of these to replace my old "boots". The old ones were great, but are not made anymore (why does this seem to be happening more and more :confused:).

They have really hard soles, much like "tennis shoes" or maybe even firmer. That's what you need to walk over the rocky (ironshore) beaches. I haven't used these yet (not for another 3 weeks) so I can't comment on durability, but I'm pleased so far, especially for the price. And they arrived in less than a week.

Those are perfect and priced right as well! Have a great trip:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom