Best place to get good fills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmbeaty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm wondering where the best place in the Fayetteville-Raleigh-Wilmington area is to get good fills is for LP steel tanks? Seems like most places in the area are really reticent to even fill to the (current) plus rating, much less give even a conservative overfill. Carolina Dive Center is the only shop I've found so far that will fill to the plus rating. Anyone know of any others?

that's a wide area.... try air hogs, no experience with them since I have multiple non-shop compressors in Raleigh where I get fills to whatever I want, but if anyone up there was going to give cave fills, it'd probably be them

Cool. Yeah, I live in the Fayetteville area, and dive either at Fantasy Lake or Wilmington, hence the wide range. Black Jack Tech Diving is the only shop closeish to me (30 minute drive) and they are real sticklers about giving exactly what's on the cylinder. To be fair, I haven't gotten a short fill from them- they are usually within 50 psi of the rating. Still, I'd really like to take advantage of the plus rating at the very least, and I wouldn't mind closer to 2800...

We do fill to the plus rating but don't do cave fills.

Interesting. I called the shop and asked if I could get my tanks filled to the plus rating. Perhaps whoever I spoke with misunderstood me. My big thing is not getting short filled (which like I mentioned before I haven't had issues from you guys on my AL80's). Especially when I get charged for having tanks over 100 cf and filled to 2400 I only get 95. Not the end of the world but I like to maximize my money's worth both on the full side and more bottom time on charters. Your shop is the most convenient for me, so if I can get fills to 2640 I'll probably get fills there from now on

I guess we are spoiled here in FL. If I were living in those conditions, I would either get rid of my LP tanks, or start shopping for a home compressor.

I guess we are spoiled here in FL. If I were living in those conditions, I would either get rid of my LP tanks, or start shopping for a home compressor.
I moved here from Missouri. Back there you got 2800-3000 unless you asked for less, and could get 3500 pretty easily. I've never had mine that full, and I understand if someone is concerned with safety, but when my tanks have a current plus rating and no one wants to fill it to that? Diving quarries it's not a big deal. Its when I get the chance to get on an off shore charter (hard to fit in my work schedule) and I lose 10 minutes/dive due to short fills that bothers me.

It's possible one of my staff members misunderstood you as we have a couple of new folks that were not even sure what a cave fill was when they started. Regardless we will never knowingly short you on a fill so if there is ever an issue let us know and we'll take care of it. I completely understand the charter concern.

Back
Top Bottom