Best place to do OW certification in the Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tjack

Contributor
Reaction score
Taos, New Mexico and Georgian Bay, Ontario
# of dives
500 - 999
A friend of mine asked me where is the best place in the Caribbean to do his OW cert? I have been racking my brain to answer but no clear cut answer comes to mind.

Can anyone recommend a destination and or dive shop?

What is 'best' ?

Least expensive plane tickets ?
Most luxurious (best) resort ?
Least expensive (best) diving ?
Choice of certification agency's (OMG there is something besides PADI) ?
Most active bar scene?
Most variety of shore activities for spouse/SO/partner?
Cheapest beer?

Not a very useful question. . .

Best conditions for a beginner, best dive training, positive initial dive experience. Friendly helpful vibe like here on Scubaboard.

Admittedly a broad question JohnN, thanks for all your recommendations.

My recommendation would be do the class work online in the comfort of your home and do the water as a referral. I'm partial to the Caymans and would probably recommend Cobalt Coast (Grand Cayman), Little Cayman Beach Resort (Little Cayman), Compass Point (Grand Cayman), and Brac Reef Resort (Cayman Brac). The referral method makes it so you don't spend your vacation studying.

If you are looking for not so expensive, Utila is known for certifying lots of folks, backpackers on a budget.

I'm headed for Cobalt Coast on Grand Cayman on Feb 9th. I'm a certified diver and my girlfriend is doing her open water checkout dives there. I'll let you know how it is when we get back.

Cobalt Coast is set up very good, top quality gear, rebreathers. Highly recommended.

Dammit my post evaporated.

We did our open water dives in Barbados. Diving isn't great but the seas were flat and it was just easy. We do like the Brac and plan on Little Cayman, I suppose they take you to shallower dive sites. If you go to the Brac Treehouse is a great shallow dive.

My first idea was Caymans, thanks for the confirmation on that one. What makes Caymans so ideal for OW cert?

I did my AOW on Utila and agree you can't beat the price. West End Roatan also comes to mind.

What about Bonaire? Seems lots of people love it, how would it be for OW cert?

mikeycanuk, we'll have some good specials for Brac and LCBR for the Beneath the Sea dive show in March.

I did my first 2 OW dives in Belize City with Sea Sports Belize. I had an amazing time. The instructor, crew & office staff were amazing!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom