Best place to do OW certification in the Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Best conditions for a beginner, best dive training, positive initial dive experience. Friendly helpful vibe like here on Scubaboard.

I was on Roatan for two weeks last year. Coconut Tree Divers, West End, big thumbs up. They do a lot of instructor/DM training so for someone starting out, they are guaranteed to get lots of attention (those students need to practice on someone). Zero current, 80-100' visibility and I'd put it on the bargain end of inexpensive diving (about $25/boat dive), I have no idea what instruction costs. Housing in that area goes from very cheap, to moderate ($100/night).

I agree with doing a referral. Another question would be what time of year did they have in mind? There's weather conditions and water temperatures to consider.

Also, do you know if they get seasick on boats? If so, focus on places with calm shore diving and very mellow boat rides. I think this is a good way to start anyway - there's something to be said for dealing with setting up gear and getting back on a pitching boat after they've got a few dives in. Seasickness is something that can be solved by most people, but if it's an issue it's good to simply not have to deal with it in the beginning.

I think Bonaire is a good place. Very dive centered so someone can get really immersed in some dive culture. Easy conditions and lots of good choices of lodging and ops. Pick someplace on the water with a convenient shore dive right out front. Possible drawback, Bonaire can be expensive/bit of a pain to get to.

Curacao tends to be a bit easier and cheaper to get to than Bonaire, and might be a good option. There's just fewer dive-centered places to stay there that I'd suggest. Conditions not always as bathtub as Bonaire but usually close enough. Go West diving has a good shore dive, boats, instructors and would be a good place to get certified. The dive shop area and adjacent restaurant can be a good place to hang out with other divers. Stay at Kura Hulanda lodge or All West Apts depending on your taste in accomodations. One drawback (or not) is that it's pretty isolated without many restaurant choices nearby, but there's enough to get by. If you'd prefer something closer to town the Marriott might be a good option even though it's not really dive-centered. I have no personal experience with the dive op there but it has a pretty good reputation and a supposedly decent shore dive, and their boats have always looked uncrowded when we see them out there.

I like the Cayman recommendations above as well, though a new diver is going to miss a lot of the stuff Cayman it's famous for - unless they're diving deeper then they probably ought to be right off. Sunset House on Grand Cayman also has it's advantages, like very good odds of calm conditions and shore diving that rarely gets blown out, although it's not my preferred place. I think Compass Point would be a really good all around experience, but it will be all boat diving and the winds at that end of the island (in the winter months especially) can make for some exciting boat rides so not a good place to start if someone's not a boat person. Cayman Brac and Little Cayman I'd probably save for a future trip when they can appreciate them better.

Depends what time of year he plans to go. I recommend doing academics online, pool here in Canada (he is Canadian?) then just doing the check out dives in the Caribbean.

When is he planning on going?

Bryan
SCUBA DESTINATION DEALS - HOME

Looks like some time in April, well before hurricane season.

I am likewise advising doing theory and pool sessions at home and then referral dives somewhere in the Caribbean.

How does the e-learning compare to good old book and lecture style classes?

E Learning works just fine. You can do a University degree online now, you can certainly learn the basics of SCUBA. Many dive ops nowadays give you the book to read and show you some videos. Not many dive schools still doing the sit down lecture method of teaching anymore.
Going in April/May. Roatan and Belize, might even get to see some whale sharks. Weather and water conditions good. Those are nice cheap and still good destinations from Canada. Cozumel, you can do without currents on your first dives. Bahamas, Turks and Cayman, nice diving but bit pricy for training dives. Save them for when certified. There are a number of nice options down the lesser antilles, Antigua, Nevis, St Vincent right down to the ABC islands.

If I were you, Roatan. Nice diving, affordable flight and accom packages from Canada.

Good luck
Bryan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom