Best place to DM for a summer in the Philippines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Togalive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey everyone!

I took a trip to Bonaire last year, and I was absolutely amazed at the diving culture I got to experience. Now, a year later, I am in the final month of my PADI Dive Master certification and have accrued various other certifications including becoming an AAUS certified Scientific Diver so I can further my love for diving and hopefully share it with others as well. I've heard a lot about the Philippines as being one of the best places to DM for summer, so I thought I'd post up in this thread.

My purpose for posting here, is to ask you all (the locals and those who are more familiar with the Philippines than I) where the best place to DM over the 2012 summer might be? While I am not intending this post to be a job search post, I am trying to gather information about local dive centers and potential employers.

What I am looking for is a dive center where I could work over the 2012 summer in a friendly, customer-centered locale. I am hoping to find a place where I could dive at least a few days a week, while also participating in other duties such as helping run a shop or lead dives. I am a very safety-orientated diver, trained in both recreational and AAUS scientific diving in the rough, cold conditions of California's North Coast. Friendly, experienced in customer service, and confident in my diving abilities I'm hoping to find a shop/dive center that has a family feeling to it.

My biggest concern, is that I am a student during the academic year (September through June), and that means that I have to earn some money each summer in order to continue paying for my education. So I'm hoping I can find a shop that appreciates a hard worker when they see one, and could help me meet that goal by the end of the summer.

What are your thoughts? Do you know of any good shops which routinely hire quality DM's during the summertime? I'd be happy virtually anywhere :)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi Togalive,

First off, your post reads a bit as if you think the Philippines is part of the Caribbean. So if that's the case I suggest you start with a map. If its just a typo then let's move on!

The Philippines is a great place to dive, work, and live; and I'm sure it would meet all of your requirements in terms of meeting locals and travelers and having a great time along with doing some great dives.

The hard part is going to be earning $5k in a matter of months. As a DM and not an instructor it can be hard to find work unless you are a local, as there are many local DMs. Their salary will vary from $100 to $500 per month. So if you did manage to find work, after covering your expenses there probably wont be much left for your piggy bank.

There is also a lot of expat DMs willing to work for nothing or even PAY to intern and do what you are asking...so the honest truth is I don't see it happening. Also bear in mind that June-Aug is traditionally the time when there's even less work available.

Sorry to not be of more help and good luck with your search.

Matt.

Hey Matt!

Woops! Yeah that was a complete typo :p I'm well aware of my geography :)

Thanks for the great info! In all honesty, I know the 5k is definitely a high bar to reach while working short term as a DM. I'll adjust my post according, perhaps some more student loans are in order haha

hey togalive,

first off when you say summer is it our summer or your summer?... beacause in feb through may. I might know somewhere you can get a job that pays a little higher than other places. theyll pay you about 12usd/dive and youll be doing at least 3 but sometimes 4 and 5 dives a day... it is a full dive schedule though so you will be in the water most of your time. aside from that youll have minimal paperwork duties like reporting on your respected groups.

If it is for the us summer though that starts in june... im not really sure... coz most parts of the philippines will start to go into low season and theres not enough guests to have work for everyone...

As for 5k usd as a DM in the philippines for 2maybe 3mos... i doubt it... highest ive heard was about 1k. month and youll have to deduct living expenses from there....

I've heard a lot about the Philippines as being one of the best places to DM for summer, so I thought I'd post up in this thread.

Who did you hear that from?!?

Philippines is a great diving destination - but an abundance of excellent quality, English speaking, dive professionals tends to make the region very competitive for employment. Add expensive work visas to that equation and you've got a place that is very hard to get any sort of paid diving work.

Most of the foreign instructors/DMs working here actually live here...and either own businesses (they get an investors/employers visa) or are married to Filipino citizens (they get residence visas).

My purpose for posting here, is to ask you all (the locals and those who are more familiar with the Philippines than I) where the best place to DM over the 2012 summer might be? While I am not intending this post to be a job search post, I am trying to gather information about local dive centers and potential employers.

The best chance of getting work would be somewhere like Puerto Galera. Not many dive centres would employ you in advance. You turn up, drop of your resume, hang around... and maybe get some freelance work.

My biggest concern, is that I am a student during the academic year (September through June), and that means that I have to earn some money each summer in order to continue paying for my education. So I'm hoping I can find a shop that appreciates a hard worker when they see one, and could help me meet that goal by the end of the summer.

You need a reality check on the scuba industry.

There's hundreds of thousands of hard-working, eager dive-masters in the world - all seeking the chance to dive. The supply of labour far exceeds the demand for it. It's an employers' market.

That is especially true in the Philippines... especially when the hard-working local dive-masters have extensive knowledge of the dive sites, will work from dawn-to-dusk 7 days a week...and still be overjoyed with the meagre salary they receive as compensation. By Philippines' standards, the average $20 a day they might make as commission is seen as a good income... from which they will support their families.

What are your thoughts?

Your goal to earn college money, whilst working as a DM in the Philippines is unlikely to be achieved.

Do you know of any good shops which routinely hire quality DM's during the summertime?

Sorry, but I don't.

The best you are likely to find is a shop that offers you the chance to work for free... or for minor commission. They won't supply a work permit. They probably won't supply food or accommodation, but you may get really lucky and find one that has some -very basic- staff accommodation.

Hey Santos,

Yeah, the 5K is something I'm realizing as being a pipe dream outside of the US. As for the summer, I was speaking about our summer here in the US, so that would be Mid-June-Late August. I would still be interested in a position pretty much anywhere, so long as I can at least break even come the end of the summer.

As has already been mentioned, June-August is the wet/low season in the Philippines

The best chance of getting work would be somewhere like Puerto Galera. Not many dive centres would employ you in advance. You turn up, drop of your resume, hang around... and maybe get some freelance work

This July was the busiest I've seen in PG over the years I've been going there, but it was still pretty quiet... a freshly minted DM with no local experience is probably going to find it pretty tough to cover costs (including the plane fare)

On the plus side, the beer is cheap :)

Coming from USA(first world) and expect a free diving holiday in Philippines(third world)!!!!
Wouldn't you think any available jobs should go to the local first?

Speaking as a diver who will make his 3rd trip to the Philippines, I get pissed when I'm put with a new Expat DM. I want to be with a local DM who knows the sites or at least an experienced Expat who's been diving the area for a long time. I agree with Centrals, I want to help the locals.

For instruction though, that's a different story.

Just my 2 cents.

I have a small company here in the Philippines and I think you should pick another geographic location to find a great summer job, or you could always do some volunteer work putting your AAUS training to use. Another option is look for a PIRE Project or something similar where you may receive a small stipend. Again everyone wants to do those kind of fun things...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom