best place to dive in Texas in January/February?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bethbsting

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello Fellow Texans! Where is the best spot in Texas to dive in Jan or Feb (think water temp and visability, etc..)

Late February there's the Hammerhead trip to the Flower Gardens. That's contingent on the sea state. Occasionally boats run out to oil rigs too.

Wintertime diving is bearable (for southerners) in some of the springs. The Comal and San Marcos rivers maintain a constant temperature around 70 degrees. That's real nice in January. Aquarena Center offers a neat course that lets you dive in Spring Lake. These sites all boast very clear waters and rich plant and animal life. The only downside is they're shallow.

The Valhalla Nuclear Missile Silo also maintains a constant water temperature, but that's like 59 degrees. Yikes.

Some people volunteer in large aquariums. Moody Gardens and the Texas State Aquarium have programs for that, maybe other places too (Seaworld, SeaCenter, zoos).

:frosty: There is also Aquarena Springs in San Marcos. The water temp is 72 degrees year around cold in the summer and warm in the winter just don't get out of the water in the winter. Some of the LDS in Austin and San Antonio have groups that dive in the river year round. Clear water lots of fish.
:shark:

I really wouldn't ever recommend an early Spring or late Winter Flower Gardens trip unless I knew the person personnally. This place is difficult enough of a dive in the summer.

We have said it alot around here.

The Flower Gardens is NOT A NOVICE DIVE SPOT.

Balmorreh is another constant temp dive spot. It is way out in west Texas, but its beautiful country, nice vis, and a constant low 70's

The dive shop I work with takes its winter classes there for open water.

You can also dramatically increase your diving season and comfort in a dry suit. They really are much more comfortable than they look.

Happy Holidays,

TwoBit

Diving in the Gulf should not be done by novices, especially in the winter. The currents are unpredictable, the weather can turn on a dime, and surface sea conditions are hinky at best.

Balmorhea is my favorite Texas winter time spot. It's a 10 hour drive from Houston but it's a neat road trip. There's cottages in the park and the constant warm water temps are great. Vis is typical of natural springs and last January the water was 76º. Just be prepared for a cold breeze if the wind is blowing.

Dee:
Diving in the Gulf should not be done by novices, especially in the winter. The currents are unpredictable, the weather can turn on a dime, and surface sea conditions are hinky at best.

i have a planned trip for feb 13,14,15. it is supposed to be an excellent time with the visibility being great and hopefully some hammerhead appearnces. but yes, there is a reason why they require you to be advanced, and i almost think they should require rescue (but i know that would cut down on business). last time i went in march, and it was cold (65 degrees), 8 foot waves, and a pain in the butt to climb up that ladder to get back on the boat. if you have some dives on you (atleast 30 or so), and do well under a little stress, i would urge you to check out the flower gardens in the spring. it is amazing. And BTW, moody gardens is awesome. its 78 degrees year-round! to bad the next orientation isnt until next spring.

For most central and south texans, "cold water" is anything below 80F, or a temperature that necessitates a full 3mm exposure suit. Being located in a transitional area between two maritime climate provinces is rather irritating, as we get both sides of the coin. I don;t think the west coast or new england divers even notice the difference.

chrpai:
hehehe, I wonder how long I have to live in Houston until I think thats cold.

Took me 3 years after moving down from Indiana. Now I'm just like the people I used to laugh at, walking around in a scarf and mittens once it gets down below 50 degrees... :)

I have to agree on the Comal. You can get a good hours drift dive out of it although its not very deep. I've also heard that Balmorhea is nice. My LDS is taking a group out there at the end of January.

Back
Top Bottom