best place to dive in Malaysia in Dec/10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sydney

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Can anyone tell me where the best place to dive in Malaysia in Dec/10 is? and what is the best diving outfit/dive pkg (ie hotel and dive shop--and is there one together?)

Thanks.

Sydney

Hi Sydney,

Although there are some decent sites in Peninsular Malaysia I always try to recommend the best and if you are coming here for diving then you simply must come to dive in Borneo for that is where it all happens.

Borneo is surrounded by lots of tiny little islands which are home to dive resorts right in the heart of all the best dive destinations: Sipadan, Mabul, Kapalai, Layang Layang, Lankayan and Mataking.

Sipadan normally has the best conditions between April and December, especially July and August and nearby resorts with their own boats and dive centres are the most popular way to dive Sipadan and Mabul.

Hi sydney,

First of all let me mention that I run a dive business in Sabah, Borneo (west coast). My advise is based on my knowledge of diving in Malaysia.

From November - Fabruary / March Peninsular Malaysia is impacted by North East Monsoon. This impacts the diving conditions there. Sabah (Malaysian Borneo) is known as the 'Land below the Wind' as it is not impacted by the North East Monsoons. We are still impacted by the North East trade winds which impact the sea state at offshore diving locations like Layang Layang (which is shut from Sept - February each year) and Lankayan.

Sipadan is diveable all year round. Overall, the best conditions exist from April to December, especially July and August. January to March can see some unsettled weather and a decrease in visibility but the diving can still be fine. It is a world class diving location - we've just had a friend come back from diving there and it blew them away. So I agree with OnTheSpot - Sipadan is a great choice for you for diving in Malaysia in December.

There are a range of choices for Dive Operators / Resorts for diving Mabul / Kapalai / Sipadan - from backpacker through to 5* water bungalows. Your choice of Resort / Operator depends up on budget and the quality of experience you are looking for (with both the diving and the non diving parts of your holiday - accommodation, food, service etc.).

If you have a choice when you go in December I'd recommend avoiding any time near Christmas and going earlier in December (when it will be quieter at the Resorts) - this will increase your chance of getting permits to dive at Sipadan.

Enjoy your diving holiday in Malaysia!

Thanks Dreamdivegirl for the really useful information. I was considering going to Sipadan at the end of this month but thought it was not in season. I hope there are still permits and spots available.

Hi Sydney,

I'm also looking at diving around the 10th Dec in Malaysia and will be travelling alone.
I've dived quite a bit in Thailand but am trying to figure out whether to go straight to Thailand/Burma, or do Malaysia.

I'd heard that the Perhentian Islands are the best place to dive in Malaysia but it will be Monsoon season, so I guess the dive sites will be closed.

Other sites I have read also recommend Sipadan though. Have you made your decision yet?

Have you found out any other interesting info?

thanks
Michael

Hi Michael,

Thanks for asking but it was last year in Oct 2010 when I was trying to decide where to go diving. I ended up going diving in Bonaire instead of Malaysia.

It sounds like Sipidan would be the place to go diving in Dec but I certainly would go before xmas by some of the comments on this link.

I usually try to go diving this time of year and would LOVE to go diving with you in Sipidan but my parents are older and my mom is having memory problems so I've decided to stay home and go to Canada for xmas. I may try to go diving somewhere in March or April.

I would love to hear where you end up going. You could send my a private message or to my home email at swaldern@yahoo.com

Take care
Shelly

Back
Top Bottom