best place to complete my open water training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

herman once bubbled...
That being said, if you want the best first diving experience then go to Bonaire.

I think that the term "best diving experience' is very subjective. Certainly, if you want to join the ranks of people who dive often, you should complete your course locally as suggested.

As for diving experience, there are many wonderful dives all over the world. My personal favourites are the Keystorm and the Muskie, both located in the St. Lawrence River. The Muskie has a resident 8ft long Sturgeon that is a site to see. Key Largo and the Speigel Grove offer a unqiue dive also, My suggestion is to learn locally and that will make your warm water diving even more special in the future. Too many people that I know that did their dives in the Carribean don't want to dive up north in the summer which is a real shame. Keep in mind that the St. Lawrence River is only a 6 hour drive from New York City and offers a nice way to beat the summer heat of the City during those really hot and humid spells. What better way to spend a summer vacation that experiencing the best fresh water diving in the world so close to your front door.

As always, just my .03 cents worth. :D

THE TROPICS!

imbluefish once bubbled...
I sure you remember your first open water dive,

I wan't to make mine as spectactular as possible.

Hi, IBF!

Well, I guess I'll be a party of one here! My vote: treat yourself to that wonderful dive that you want to remember forever!

My notion is that if you do not take a liking to cold water diving, it does not matter when you begin your tropics diving: you will want to return to paradise from then on!

My vote for Spectacular Diving for a newbie is Saba! Why Saba and not Bonaire? Because the best of Bonaire is shore diving and I do not recommend unguided dives for newbies! Go to Saba and dive with Big Mike from Saba Deep--he will take you under his ample wing and show you some very magnificent diving!

Now, Saba diving is deep and some folks may caution you against it for a newbie...if it were not for my confidence in Big Mike, I would agree.

A great second choice is with Blue Island Divers right here on St. Thomas. Stay at the Marriott for a splendiferous room and celebrate your dives one evening with dinner at Herve's in town! It does not get any better!

Finally, if you can take your glance away from the Carib for a moment, think about Hawaii. The Big Island is a real bargain now in terms of airfare. For your first OW dives on the Big Island of Hawaii, go to the Kona Coast and dive with Sandwich Isle Divers. Steve, Brad or Walt will take you on a personally guided tour of the wonders of Hawaii at 30+ feet. They are superb with newbies and will make you feel right at home! You will be astounded at the sealife and the beauty. If you go in Winter, the water will be around 74 deg F and, so, you will not get overly enthusiastic about tropical diving...maybe!

Hope this helps and congrats!

Scorpionfish

Walter has a point in that once you taste the Carribbean first, the local quarry diving isn't much of a thrill ... that 60-100' vis spoils you badly. I did my OW in St Croix, which was the middle of the road of the three USVIs. I went with a great dive shop called Dive Experience who finished my certification and then basically took my buddy and I under their wing for the whole week and treated us as locals. It was great! They went beyond their call of duty ... not only did they set us up with our diving, but showed us the island on their off time ... not the touristy crap, either, other than the Pig Bar! LOL However, I symphathize with your weather conditions where you are and not wanting to do your ck- out dives there currently. I just this past summer started diving some at our local quarry and found it to be fun ... the first time I'd been in fresh water. Actually this past November was the first time I'd actually been diving in the states ... Florida, all because of being spoiled by the Carribbean. So, go to the warm tropics, have fun, but DON'T LET THAT HAPPEN TO YOU! Dive every chance you can, everywhere you can! :)

You came to Florida without telling us? I love meeting Scubaboard folks when they're in town. Please let me know next time you're heading south.

Walter once bubbled...
You came to Florida without telling us? I love meeting Scubaboard folks when they're in town. Please let me know next time you're heading south.

Five of your fellow Scubaboard folks from Canada are going to be in Key Largo the week of March 9-15. We'll be staying at Kelly's on the Bay.

You have described Bonaire.
There is, in my opinion, no better place to do a referral and get started diving and enjoying it. Invest in Paul Humann's Reef Fish Identification before you go and you'll be truly passionate about diving in no time.
You can always freeze your tail off in a quarry later.
Rick :)

imbluefish once bubbled...
My wife and I will be finishing our closed water dive instruction on January 9. I am looking for the best location and resort to complete our open water training (in Feb). I would like to stay in the Caribbean Mexico or Central/South America
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is all new to us.

P.S. We would prefer a QUITE destination preferably without a big nightlife scene since we do not care for late night partying

P.S.S Great website I'm glade I found it!

Walter once bubbled...

I'm so sorry. :( I promise I'll let you know the next time I'm down there! :wink:

I would recommend Grand Cayman for a carribean trip.

My reasons:
1. Very mature dive operations that are experienced in handling all kinds of divers.
2. Wide variety of dives from stingray city to walls.
3. Great visibility makes you feel safer.
4. Stuff to do on land. (your wife\you might want to do more than dive every day twice a day)
5. you'll be able to look at the many ads for Cayman in the dive mags and smile knowingly.

I went soon after my certification and loved it. I went in the low season(summer) so it wasn't crowded I'm not sure what it's like in winter.

GOOD LUCK!

HTH,
Rice

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom