best place to complete my open water training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have two recommendations for you: 1) Little Cayman; and 2) Provodenciales, Turks & Caicos. Forget all the diving under the ice advice. What they seem to be saying is don't go to the Caribbean because you'll find out just how sucky it is to dive in a quarry with low vis, cold water, no fish and a couple of junk cars. Go where its warm and the diving is some of the best in the world! Just my two cents and I'm sure I'll be ripped up for it.

I have dived many times in Mexico and if you are going, you will have a great time. I began my diving in the Caribbean (St. Thomas) and it did not ruin my NJ diving experience (not as colorful but fun in a different way (hey it's diving right).

If you want a quiet time then go to the Riviera Maya area, south of Playa del Carmen down to Akumal. Lots of great hotels, access to great reefs and wonderful dives in Cenotes ( inland rivers and caverns; awesome) if want to try it.

I am going back at the end of the year to explore more Cenotes.

Bottom line, just enjoy!

:mean:

I agree that quarry diving does make you appreciate tropical waters more, but if I had the choice to do it over again it would be in warm clear water. However, I will not quite the quarry diving. Without looking back I am not sure who said it but someone did mention Hawaii. The only salt water dives in my brief career were in Hawaii and I had a good time. I did not see the gigantic schools of fish or large colorful coral reefs, but I did get to see turtle and I love turtles. The dives were also very easy, or atleast they sure seemed to be to me. I have heard though that the dives on the Big Island are much better including the chance to see Mantas. If you really want to spoil yourself you could always book a trip on a live-aboard like the Kona Aggressor. 5 months from now my recomendation will probably bonaire, especially if it is half as good as everyone says it is. But like someone else mentioned shore dives may not be the best choice for new divers, but you could always hire a dive master.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom