Best place for single diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

voln

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi! I have not dived the Caribbean and am planning a solo trip this fall (September, possibly October) to rectify that, and would like some advice for a choice of destination. It seems the preference on this board is for Bonaire, but as that is mainly for shore diving, was wondering how easy that is to do on my own (whether most resorts have sign up sheets, or match you up with a buddy or whatever). Also read something about reef damage from recent hurricane activity, so wondering if that is still the top choice?

Also wondering if anyone recommends St Thomas, as I could get a hotel deal there.

Really, though, I am open to most locations, with the following factors in mind:
- I'm AOW, with about 50 dives
- I like to see lots of colors (ie corals), don't need to be chasing pelagics all the time but some variety would be great
- proximity or ease of travel from LAX
- cost
- hurricane factor, given my timing (Sept/ Oct)
- ease of set up for single diver

I am not big on clubbing, I really want a place with great diving where the set up is convenient for a single gal, and a nice beach or pool area to hang out at during the SIs.

TIA!

Ease of travel from LAX and hurricane factor are sort of mutually exclusive for the Caribbean for your time frame.

voln:
Hi! I have not dived the Caribbean and am planning a solo trip this fall (September, possibly October) to rectify that, and would like some advice for a choice of destination. It seems the preference on this board is for Bonaire, but as that is mainly for shore diving, was wondering how easy that is to do on my own (whether most resorts have sign up sheets, or match you up with a buddy or whatever). Also read something about reef damage from recent hurricane activity, so wondering if that is still the top choice?

Also wondering if anyone recommends St Thomas, as I could get a hotel deal there.

Really, though, I am open to most locations, with the following factors in mind:
- I'm AOW, with about 50 dives
- I like to see lots of colors (ie corals), don't need to be chasing pelagics all the time but some variety would be great
- proximity or ease of travel from LAX
- cost
- hurricane factor, given my timing (Sept/ Oct)
- ease of set up for single diver

I am not big on clubbing, I really want a place with great diving where the set up is convenient for a single gal, and a nice beach or pool area to hang out at during the SIs.

TIA!

Voln...

I understand your issues! I have traveled in groups and as a single, and there are places that are more "singles-friendly", I agree. Given that you want to travel during hurricane season, if you are looking for warm water, take the risk and look at Cozumel (I am headed there at the end of September myself, so if you decide to go then, let me know!). You can take a red-eye flight from LAX thru Houston, and be there in the early afternoon. Rest up, and dive the next day. Select where you stay based on what you are looking for... at some of the larger resorts you will meet other divers to hang around with while you are diving with them during the day. Also, a lot of groups head to Cozumel and would not mind a single person tagging along to dinner, etc. That is, if you are bold enough to ask if you can accompany them... I know the last time I went to Cozumel we invited a single guy to come to dinner with our group, it just seemed fair to share the fun!

Also, you can check trips that are geared for buddyless divers, on sites such as SingleDivers.com. They may have something going for the period you are looking for.

Good luck and great diving!

Jennifer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom