Best Place for GPOs? or Wolf Eels?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjh

Contributor
Reaction score
I know nothing is guaranteed but looking for the best shore dive spots for either of these critters? Sticking to Tacoma, Seattle, San Juan area, no time to go to Canada. The more specifics the better, best time, location, etc...

Thanks

Day Island Wall, just south of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge ... hands down. It's pretty much a guarantee you'll see both wolfies (you can't avoid them) and octos.

This upcoming week-end is a good time ... as is the week-end of August 9/10.

Look for periods of low exchange. Time it around slack. I look at the current corrections for both Tacoma Narrows north and Gibson Point and split the difference ... not an exact science, but on low exchange days it'll get you close enough.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Day Island Wall, just south of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge ... hands down. It's pretty much a guarantee you'll see both wolfies (you can't avoid them) and octos.
Second for Day Island...probably the closest to a guarantee you can get.

Sunrise beach park (Sunrise Beach) also has a pretty high chance of seeing lots of both of the critters.

KVI Towers is a good place to see GPO. Last time I was out there I saw a GPO under a very large bolder that had suckers the size of desert plates. It was hard to tell just how big it was but I would estimate at 16'+ from tenticle to tenticle.

I believe you need a boat to get to KVI Towers. Bandito goes out there semi regularly.

Jullian

Jullian

Keystone here on whidbey, When you go to san juans there all over there, but you would need transportation to the Islands, permission from land/lot owners.

I have seen every kind of boat possible out at pp ferry, get a boat and your creature hunting will be at your fingertips, you can turn any boat into a dive boat.

The dive kyak is a great resource, no maintenance at all.

Happy Diving

Titlow is another regular provider but you'll want someone to take you to their "hide outs" if you've never been there before. Fox Island West Wall is a sure thing for GPO's but not Wolf Eels.

When are you going to be around and trying to find them? I might be able to lead you on a tour. If not, here's site information on the ones listed so far:

Day Island
Titlow
Fox Island West Wall
KVI Tower
Sunrise

Thanks for all the great input. I have a couple of out of town guest who are keen photographers and looking for these guys. We will be looking to dive on Aug 19th.

Thanks for all the great input. I have a couple of out of town guest who are keen photographers and looking for these guys. We will be looking to dive on Aug 19th.

zhmmm. i just checked the tide predictions for the south end for Aug 19th and they are "unfavorable" for most sites where you could see wolfies and GPO's. So, cancel Sunrise, Day Island Wall, and probably even Titlow unles your guests have plenty of experince diving current (in which case it would be doable but pretty intense).

KVI may still work, Sund Rock isn't affected by the currents but it is a long drive from the south end, Fox Island West Wall will still be okay.

There are also a few large GPO's at Redondo. PM me if you decide to dive there and i'll tell you where they're at or take you down to see them.

If the currents are bad that weekend you may want to drive out to Hood Canal and dive Octopus Hole or Sund Rock. Over the July 4th weekend we dove Sund Rock and on our first dive saw two big Wolfies on the north wall. We dove the rock on our second dive but called it after 10 minutes because of a gear issue. Other divers told us that they had seen two octos and another Wolf Eeel.

A bit of advise if you dive Hood Canal; Because of the storms this winter there is layer of fine silt throughout the canal. Make sure to stay off the bottom or you'll find yourself in a silt-out and have a difficult dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom