Best Place for A620 Online Purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eckybay

Princess of Dorkness
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm in the market for a new camera after my last one drowned - and it wasn't while diving. My cat was kind enough to push it off of the table and into the dogs water bowl :( . Since I'm just getting into diving, I figured I get a camera that I could at some point get a housing for. I think I've settled on the Canon A620. I like the option of having manual controls and the possibility to add lens topside if I want to at some point. After being spoiled by the Lumix that is no more and its 36mm to 432mm lecia lens and a wide angle add on, I'm used to having some versatility. I'd get another one in a heartbeat, but it's not in the budget, nor are there any decent waterproof cases that I can find. But I think I'll be more than happy with the A620. . . . .So. Does anyone know of a reputable online retailer that has this camera for a good price? I've looked some and right now I think Amazon is in the lead for the purchase.

Hey eckybay,

I bought my A610 (5 MP version of A620) from the Dell website.
Amazon is perhaps a better bet as there is free shipping (3-5 business days) and I doubt that you'll pay sales tax on your purchase with them.
With Dell I had to pay for shipping and also sales tax..

In terms of other options for purchasing it online, i'd take a look at http://froogle.google.com/ what's nice about that website is that you get a price comparison on the camera from various etailers and also you get an idea to previous buyers experiences with the various companies.
Can be good if you're trying to avoid unscrupolous sellers.

Re the addition of adding lens, that is certainly possible topside with the Canon wide angle and telephoto lens addition for this camera.
U/W though if you'd like to add lenses you'd need to get the Ikelite case as that isn't possible with the Canon WP-DC90 housing.

Hope this helps and good luck shopping!

I'd also check gotapex.com. They often show insane deals on various cameras at dell.com. You may have to wait until that particular model appears, as they seem to change weekly, but when they put them on sale, it is usually for great prices. YMMV

B & H Photo I bought my camera and housing both from them.

The A620 can be had for under 2 bills now. Since I am biased towards Ikelite housings for greater durability and depth capacity, I'd pop for the SD550 for around $50 more - bigger LCD viewfinder (2.5") and the Ikelite housing is $100 cheaper.
Whichever one you spring for will make you happy.

I looked at the SD550 - but it doesn't offer as many manual controls, the built in optical zoom is less, no options for additional telephoto/wide angle lense for topside photos, it takes proprietary batteries, and it costs more. I'll be sure to take a look at the Ikelite housings. I keep hearing that they're suppose to hold up a lot better and make it possible to use a wide angle lense.

So far Amazon and B&H are tied at $225 for the cheapest I can find from a store I'd trust.

Hi eckybay!

I just purchased a Canon A620 and got it yesterday. I purchased it from www.butterflyphoto.com. It was $238.95 but I got a package deal with a card, case, mini tripod and card holder which was a good deal I thought.

You can also go to www.pricegrabber.com and see several stores and their prices.

I got my camera in two days and am getting ready to purchase a housing right now. Leaning toward the ikelite housing. The strobe will probably have to wait since that is a little beyond my budget right now! I am VERY excited about using the A620 heading out on a trip in a couple of weeks! If anyone has any thoughts on a housing let me know. Keep going back and forth between the ikelite and canon housing!!

I'll give buterfly photo a look. I already have two 512 cards, a tripod, and a pelican box that I can get new foam for to customize it as a case, so the packages really don't hold much interest for me, but there's some good ones out there. Looking forward to seeing the pics after your trip!

I should clarify the price I had above... The $238.95 price was the online price with shipping.. I got my camera for$209 + 2GB card $70 + Pro Accessories Kit $150 for a total of $429.... Just so there isn't any confusion!! :wink:

I will certainly post pics after my trip.. Look out on the card. I have a Canon 30D for above water pics and the A620 takes a different card... bummer because I have a bunch for my 30D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom