Best Photo Opportunities in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sailor025

Reaction score
My wife and I are going to make a short trip to Miami from Texas. We may stay a couple of nights in the Keys.

I'm looking for the best dives/photo ops. The last time I went diving in Florida was in the late 1970s.

Here's my list of types of photos I'd like to get:

turtles
coral reef critters
one of the 22 lb bass in fresh water
Manatees
a couple of night dives
absolutely crystal clear water fresh or salt
large fish of any type

My traveling direction will be Texas to Jacksonville then to Miami then to the Keys then come back on the west coast of Florida.

Rodney

Well, I was on Molasses reef at Pennekamp (sp?) about a month ago (which is at Key Largo). There was a supremely friendly turtle there who hung around for more or less our whole dive, which satisfies option 1. Definitely the best diving I've done in the keys (which isnt extensive by any means).

DAve

sailor025:
My wife and I are going to make a short trip to Miami from Texas. We may stay a couple of nights in the Keys.

I'm looking for the best dives/photo ops. The last time I went diving in Florida was in the late 1970s.

Here's my list of types of photos I'd like to get:

turtles
coral reef critters
one of the 22 lb bass in fresh water
Manatees
a couple of night dives
absolutely crystal clear water fresh or salt
large fish of any type

My traveling direction will be Texas to Jacksonville then to Miami then to the Keys then come back on the west coast of Florida.

Rodney

That's a heck of a list for a short trip. To get them all you'd have to cover alot of territory. Turtles and reef creatures can be found in several good reef sites. Night dives can be done anywhere. Stop at any of the springs in the Gainsville or Williston area for crystal clear water. Not sure just exactly where the manatees hang out this time of year. I can show you super large bass right here in our local lake.

If you truly only have a few days, I'd pick an area first and do the best you can on the list. The Pompano Beach area is one of my favorites. The Upper Keys, Key Largo in particular, was worn out the last time I was there. Seems everyone stops there and a few of the most popular sites is where all the dive ops take everyone. The locals may or may not tell you where the good spots are!

'Course, I'm just a Texan so what do I know!

Back
Top Bottom