Best options for SE Asia January-March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isistius

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’ll be in SE Asia from January-March 2013. I’ll definitely be doing some diving but I’m trying to decide what the best options are for that time of year. I’ve previously dived and loved Mabul-Sipadan (and liveaboard on GBR).

From what I’ve read, it appears that this is not a great time for diving at Bali and Komodo liveboard because it is the wet season. Can anyone confirm this?

I’m thinking the following is a better itinerary and indeed includes destinations that are tops on my list to dive: Bunaken (4 days) – Lembeh (7 days) – Raja Ampat liveaboard (10 days). Opinions? (including whether I should spend a bit longer at Bunaken or Lembeh; can’t afford longer at Raja Ampat!) Is this a good time of year for these destinations?

As an alternative option, I have been entertaining the idea of doing the Philippines and a week in Palau, mainly because this seems to be a good time of year for diving in the Philippines and I can fly to Palau on points with a free stopover in Manila so the cost of airfare vs. Indonesia is not an issue. However, I’m a bit intimidated by the options in the Philippines and I realize Palau is not a cheap place to dive. Although Palau has amazing pelagic action, I’m not convinced that the higher per dive cost there would make it a better first choice over the Indonesian itinerary above (particularly since I intend to visit Raja Ampat).

What do you guys think? I realize these are all fantastic destinations but any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks for any input!

Your #1 option for that time of year is Raja Ampat or PNG. Lembeh is okay to dive then, Bunaken is in monsoon. Gorontalo is okay then as is Halmahera because the giant bays at these two places are protected. You can dive Komodo that time of year in the south, but it's definitely low season. Philippines is in high season at that time throughout the country. Thailand is in high season. Burma is in high season. The Andaman Islands of India are in high season.

I’ll be in SE Asia from January-March 2013. I’ll definitely be doing some diving but I’m trying to decide what the best options are for that time of year. I’ve previously dived and loved Mabul-Sipadan (and liveaboard on GBR).

I’m thinking the following is a better itinerary and indeed includes destinations that are tops on my list to dive: Bunaken (4 days) – Lembeh (7 days) – Raja Ampat liveaboard (10 days). Opinions? (including whether I should spend a bit longer at Bunaken or Lembeh; can’t afford longer at Raja Ampat!)

As an alternative option, I have been entertaining the idea of doing the Philippines and a week in Palau, . However, I’m a bit intimidated by the options in the Philippines and I realize Palau is not a cheap place to dive. Although Palau has amazing pelagic action, I’m not convinced that the higher per dive cost there would make it a better first choice over the Indonesian itinerary above (particularly since I intend to visit Raja Ampat).

What do you guys think? I realize these are all fantastic destinations but any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks for any input!

I wish I had your problems :) ...

I have dived most dive destinations in the Philippines except Tubbataha and Apo Reef. I would be happy answer any questions you might have about the Philippines, via PM.. One of the nicest things about making the Philippines one of your destinations is the ease of getting around and the fact that your never far from someone who can understand and speak english.....

Thanks for your replies.

For liveaboards to Raja Ampat in the 10 day range, is it better to do a Raja Ampat-Misool itinerary, vs. only diving Raja Ampat?

Also, any opinions on diving the Togian Islands? Is it worth the effort to get to? And is it reasonably protected from the monsoon, like Gorontalo?

Togian and Gorontalo have the same season, yes. The Togians take a fair amount of effort to get to, so you need plenty of time.

For Raja Ampat, let me start by telling you that the name itself means "Four Kings" (or Four Rajas). Misool is one of the four Rajas, so it is part of Raja Ampat already. Whether to dive down there or not--I would say yes. The southern Raja is known for corals and the northern for mantas and other fish.

Back
Top Bottom