Best Option for a $700-$800 (approx.) Dive Computer? (Suunto, Oceanic, Aeris...)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer a wristwatch-style computer. Having my computer on my wrist even when I'm not diving reduces the likelihood that it gets lost or inadvertently smashed. I've heard of computers getting smashed when the boat rocks and the computer falls onto the deck or someone puts a tank down on top of a computer that slid away from where you put it. That said, wristwatch style is a different ballgame from high-end computers with large displays.

Are there any AI wireless wrist dive computers that come with the transmitter that are in my price range? It seems that all of the interesting onee are actually $3-400 more with the transmitter. Also, I definitely only want to use a standard manufacturer (like Suunto, Oceanic, etc..)

If you do a quick search at the online sites -- you should definitely find a few. Mangiano mentioned the VT3 which is now advertised as coming with the transmitter. Some shops may still have the previous generation Oceanic Atom 2 /Aeris. I gave you my experience up above as well. You might want to consider computers that have been out for a while -- if you call, you may find that you can get a better price than what's listed online (up to 20-30%).

Are there any AI wireless wrist dive computers that come with the transmitter that are in my price range? It seems that all of the interesting onee are actually $3-400 more with the transmitter. Also, I definitely only want to use a standard manufacturer (like Suunto, Oceanic, etc..)

AI wristwatch-style computers do tend to be more expensive, perhaps due to the miniaturization of the wireless receiver.

As far as wanting a "standard manufacturer," I get the impression you feel there is something "non-standard" about some that have been mentioned in this thread that perhaps you have not heard of before, such as Shearwater, Liquivision and Hollis. They are not non-standard by any means--they are favored by tech divers and, as far as I have heard, are top-quality computers. I'd love to own one. I can understand your bias for Suunto, Oceanic, Aeris and other computers of the type that are more widely advertised to recreational divers (and more likely to be seen in the average local dive shop). I have the same bias, because those are brands that I see again and again. But I do recognize it is a somewhat unfair bias, and if I myself were in the market for a new computer I might try to broaden my horizons and consider brands I am less familiar with. Some of these newer computers are really cool. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom