Best Op for Molokini Back Wall?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

runway1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Wondering what you folks think would be the best operation to dive the back wall of Molokini? I'll be staying at the Westin Kaanapali. Thanks.

There are a number of dive shops out of Kihei that go to Molokini.....but they leave at 6:30 am so you've got an early morning ahead of you.

I've been there a couple times with Scuba Shack. Fast boat, and good people, but to be honest I felt pretty rushed throughout the trip.

Well worth the effort though :D

I'm good with Kihei. Would like to get back early anyhow but I don't want to be rushed. Most are only diving the front side. Anymore back wall ops?

Ed Robinson has a 3-tank adventure dive (Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures - Price List & Charter Schedule), with the first being a deep dive on the back wall that's a great dive. They leave from the Kihei ramp.

Maui Dream Dives Co. (Maui Dreams Dive Co - Boat Dives), located in Kihei, has trips to the crater, but they leave out of Ma'alaea Harbor, so less of a drive for you.

Both are great boats with friendly staff. I've dived with both in the past and will be again in Sept.

Have a great trip.

From the times I have been to Maui the backwall dive is dependent on conditions that day and the experience of the other divers on the boat. Pro diver and B&B are the first 2 boats out as I recall if you want to get finished early. I've been with Pro diver (6 max) and done the back wall. Never been with B&B but have heard nothing but good things about them. The reefs end drift to the backwall is a nice dive too if the current is pushing that way. Also did the backside twice on a 3 tank charter with Ed Robinsons. 1st and 3rd dive as the trade winds had not come up by mid morning so we went back out to the crater. I don't think that is very common though. Have a great time. By the way myself and 2 dive buddies will be there diving the 8-13th sept if you want to buddy up with us. We have the 3 tank Ed robinsons booked for Sept 10th.

By the way myself and 2 dive buddies will be there diving the 8-13th sept if you want to buddy up with us. We have the 3 tank Ed robinsons booked for Sept 10th.

I'd take you up on that, since I may need a buddy but, I'm there 8/17-8/23. Thanks for the input!

I like diving with Prodiver Maui, I've dove Molokini with them a number of times. Next time I'm in Maui I will try to get "edge of the world" done and I will have circumnavigated the island with them. I enjoy the small groups, great service and fun crew. I have dove with other boats with no complaints, but once I started diving with Prodiver, I haven't felt the urge to try anyone else.

No matter who you go with I'm sure you will have fun, Maui's just that kind of place...

Last edited:
I'll second that recommendation for B & B... I got more bottom time with them than I have with any other 2-tank charter, ever. 3 DM's in the water with 9 customers; Their procedures allow comfortable divers to make the most of their air consumption.

They'll make you feel like family in all of 5 minutes... I did the Reef's End drift with them, and saw several White Tips and one Grey shark, but I actually saw more life in the bowl, a dive they called Shark's Condo.

There was a marked contrast in the spirit of operation between B & B and Lahaina Divers, with whom I dove Lanai. Though I wouldn't want to make that trip to Lanai again in anything smaller than LD's boat, you'll have a lot more fun with B & B.

Steve

We too dived Lanai with Lahaina Divers I believe they use AL72s, not AL80s like most other operators. That little bit can make a big difference.

YMMV.

QUOTE=Steve Egner;5403778]There was a marked contrast in the spirit of operation between B & B and Lahaina Divers, with whom I dove Lanai. Though I wouldn't want to make that trip to Lanai again in anything smaller than LD's boat, you'll have a lot more fun with B & B.[/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom