Best (Objective) camera & housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djensen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everybody,

I've been researching this for some time now, looking for the best digital video camera for underwater use - and then the best housing for that camera. This is what I've learned so far:

1. Finding comprehensive OBJECTIVE camera reviews is difficult
2. Finding answers to my specific questions is difficult
3. Finding u/w housing reviews is extremely difficult

My specific requirements in a camera include:

1. excellent low light performance (for filming caverns and night dives within reason)
2. true HD of course
3. 30, 60 and 120 fps
4. excellent color & white balance
5. good image stabilization

I wonder if readers of this forum could help me out. Opinions valuable. Objective data even better!

It seems the Sony HDR-CX760V with Ikelite housing is a great combination. Combo is about $2600. But I'm not finding information on the camera's low light capability.

Advice? Much appreciated, thanks!

Might want to go about this in reverse.

Everyone will have an different opinion on what is great, good and acceptable. Watch some UW video online. Find what you consider good or what you would like your video to look like and then research the gear that was used.

UW video gear costs go up very quickly and the increase in costs is not the same % increase in video quality. Gear that costs twice as much will not get you video twice as good.

You wont find any truely objective camera reviews as when it comes to cameras there is a whole lot of what youre familiar with and what you personally preferr involved..

You can find some technical info like color bit depth, noise levels and stuff like that, but in the end personal preferences has a lot to do with it..
I didnt go for a Canon over a Nikon DSLR because Nikon is bad - I went for the Canon cause they are what Im used to and they havent disappointed me yet..

Thanks guys. I've almost settled on the
Sony HDR-CX760V, but want more opinions. I like the idea of working backwards from video online. That's cool outside-the-box thinking. I'm going to start looking at that. Of course that doesn't account for the differences in talent behind the camera, but that's going to be the same regardless the camera - ha ha. Thanks again.

Thanks guys. I've almost settled on the
Sony HDR-CX760V, but want more opinions. I like the idea of working backwards from video online. That's cool outside-the-box thinking. I'm going to start looking at that. Of course that doesn't account for the differences in talent behind the camera, but that's going to be the same regardless the camera - ha ha. Thanks again.

When you are viewing online video for camera evaluations, pay attention to the footage and not so much on the editing. It may be best to turn off the sound. A good editor can create a nice entertaining video from crappy footage. Also do not watch topside video. It is totally different than UW.

You mentioned caverns and night dives. That will involve lights which is a whole different topic.

When researching UW video, think of the camera and housing as one system. If you don't, you might select a camera only to find out a suitable housing is not available. Also be careful about access to manual white balance. If the past, mfrs. have listed access to manual white balance and it ended up not being true, or it took several difficult steps to to it. For example, if MWB is done with the touch screen, how easy will it be UW through the housing ? Setting full manual white balance is different than white balance shift.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom