Best non-dSLR for u/w and land?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cecil:
One thing that that did shock me when I read the specifications [for the Olympus C-8080] is that it only focuses down to 0.8 meters (2.5'), ***. That is out of range of most stuff UW. I would guess a WA lens would fix that problem.

Actually, it focuses much closer, to 2 inches. The lens has three focus ranges: Standard, 0.8 m - Infinity (2.6 ft - Infinity), Macro, 20 - 80 cm (7.9 - 31.5 in), Super Macro, 5 - 20cm (2.0 - 8 in). You select the focus range via the menu. The close up ranges have fixed focal length, but allow you to get real close. People usually set up macro as a custom MyMode, so it is quick to set up. As on land, the close focus ranges have very narrow depth of field, so I set focus approximately and move the camera in and out for desired focus.

Be aware that because the 5:1 zoom lens moves in a lot for its widest focal length, the port for it must be pretty wide to avoid vignetting -- precluding the use of wet lenses due to the diameter of the port. You can put a closup lens on the lens inside the port, if you are sure you just want close focus this dive.

You can use the Ikelite dome port with Oly WCON 0.8D lens inside the housing for wider angle shots. You may also be able to use the INON WA lenses inside this port (I recall Ike once mentioning this, so give them a call to verify). If you use the Oly PT-023 housing, Athena makes a dome port for it that you use with the Raynox FE180PRO fisheye; very expensive, but superb.

Be aware that you cannot use the internal flash with the Ikelite housing, but you can with the Olympus housing. You probably want external flash anyway.

slowhands:
...Be aware that because the 5:1 zoom lens moves in a lot for its widest focal length, the port for it must be pretty wide to avoid vignetting -- precluding the use of wet lenses due to the diameter of the port. You can put a closup lens on the lens inside the port, if you are sure you just want close focus this dive.

You can use the Ikelite dome port with Oly WCON 0.8D lens inside the housing for wider angle shots. You may also be able to use the INON WA lenses inside this port (I recall Ike once mentioning this, so give them a call to verify).

I'm planning on a good strobe and the Ikelite housing for the C-8080, but I'm slightly confused: 1) Is there a port available wide enough to avoid vignetting? 2) If I use the Oly WCON 0.8D lens on the camera, is super macro still doable? 3) Are supermacro AND 28mm possible on the same dive, and with what equipment?

Cecil:
Well there's a good a recommendation as they come. If Nick shoots with it then it, by definition it is a great camera.

One thing that that did shock me when I read the specifications is that it only focuses down to 0.8 meters (2.5'), ***. That is out of range of most stuff UW. I would guess a WA lens would fix that problem.

Huh? Are we talking the 8080? It might be that it only focuses down to that at max zoom. As Nick said, it'll shoot in supermacro, which is more in the 2" range for focusing, although I've had a hard time getting a good autofucus with mine on supermacro.

It's a nice camera, with some frustrating aspects, but I suppose all cameras have some. It's nice to hear someon who had the 5050 moved up to an 8080 and loves it... I was wondering if I'd made a mistake.

Aloha,

::::: late edit>> I need to finish reading threads before making comments... Oops.

The Nikon D50. If you want movie mode IMO get a video camera.

The fact is that in the film world there were two types of camera.. SLR, and PnS. The PnS were cheap, and worked for beginners. The fact is that now that there are DSLR's in the sub $600 range, the end of the Digital high end PnS is gone because most serious photographers are into the DSLR, and willing to deal with the added size for the increased benifit.

IMO the 8080 is a great camera, but it's going to be hard to find new. At this point get a DSLR. All roads lead to that in any event even if it's a bit more expensive.

Ever hear of anyone going BACK to something like an 8080? There is a reason...

RonFrank:
The Nikon D50.

I should qualify this answer. IMO the D50 is the best CHEAP DSLR out there. However IMO the BEST value for the money right now is the D200. The 5D (Canon) would also defiantely be a contender in value for the $$$, however it's in a very different class vs. less expensive models as is the D200.

Thanks for the replies, Ron. We're practically neighbors: I'm over a couple of hills to the west, in Avon.

I may end up with a dSLR (Nikon D70s ?) for land, and a P&S for sea. The D200 is a little out of my budget right now. The 5D, even more so.

Here's a loaded question: For a housed P&S , can I do better than the Canon S70? I'd prefer compact flash and RAW. It seems that low light focus is a big issue across the board with P&S's.

All cameras will be a compromise as all have benefits and disadvantages.

Those that have the S70 like it. It can be a little slow to focus/shoot, but there are ways to work around that and to simply live with it.

Have a look around the board here as there are several current threads on various compact digital choices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom