best/must do dive sites at Perhentian Islands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Saldiac

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've searched through this forum and found a few good posts (e.g., http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/malaysia-singapore/391461-perhentian-besar-july-2011-a.html) but would love to hear more recommendations about which Perhentian dive sites should be at the top of the list.

My wife and I will be on Perhentian Besar from July 15 to 19, staying at Coral View Resort but diving with Watercolours. We have a package of 8 dives per person, with 1 dive on the 15th and 19th, and 2 dives on the other three days.

Also, are there any strong currents (or other challenging aspects) at dive sites that we should be aware of? My wife is currently doing her OW so I don't want to go beyond her comfort/training level. She'll do some more local diving in the months leading up to our trip so I'm guessing she might have about 10-15 dives by the time we get to the Perhentian Islands.

Any comments are welcome!

Hi Saldiac,
I dived Perhentian last year and there are definitely some stand out sites! For me, as mentioned in other threads, Sugar Wreck is a great dive, can be a bit of current but the interesting side is usually sheltered from what I was told. Also, Tokong Laut (Temple of the Sea) is a fantastic site, a nice big pinnacle rising up from about 25 ish metres from memory, teeming with life - turtles, giant moray, bamboo shark, coral shrimp and plenty of other goodies. Dived this with a freshly certified friend and it was fine - although I guess it probably has its days of current, every day we dived here was great vis and minimal current. Terimbu Tiga (I think called T3 as well) is a collection of huge boulders, quite a big, interesting site - easy swim throughs, variety of nudibranchs, great landscape to dive on. Also saw a school of about 20 massive Humphead Parrotfish here too, which was amazing as they were definitely on my list! There was another reef dive just off Coral View that was pretty cool too, but I forget the name. All in all I think think your wife will be fine if the conditions are similar, we dived once with Watercolours and they were great. Hope this helps! I'm heading to Perhentians in a few days for the season (thats how much I enjoyed it last year!) so might see you in the water!
Oh yeah, a couple of pics here, from Sugar Wreck and Tokong Laut
Perhentian Islands, Malaysia, 2011 - a set on Flickr

Thanks for the suggestions!
Your pics indicate that there's plenty to see which is great since I'm planning to shoot some underwater videos.
Too bad we still have to wait 5 more months :)

But my wife needs more local dives for sure. We did one dive together after her OW certification and her buoyancy skills are rather minimal. So we'll make sure she practices and improves before we go to Perhentian.

Btw, will you be on Besar or Kecil? Guess we'll see how crowded it gets in July :)

I'll be on whichever island will give me some work haha, hope your 5 month wait passes quickly! I'll be taking a lot of pictures this time so will let you know when there is more up :)

For Perhentian, my vote goes to Tokong Laut for sure! A bit far out but worth a dive. Sugar wreck is not bad if you are a wreck lover. I think watercolour do also have a nice house reef that is pretty much enjoyable. I was there with Alu-Alu Divers when i was there in 2010.

Tokong Laut

T3 was pretty awesome. Our DM took us between the boulders and it was fantastic; good buoyancy is essential so you don't scrape the sun corals (Sun Coral - Care And Requirements Of Sun Corals) with your tank.

---------- Post added ----------

I dove with Water Colours last year but their entire dive staff has left but I don't think it was due to management. All the dive sites are close by - all within 5-15 minutes.
Terembu Tiga (T3) encountered minor to strong current. Thermocline at 15 meters and it would be ok if you have 3 mm shorty. Temp 28°C above thermocline and more to see anyway. We encountered hundreds of Pickhandle Barracudas in the shallows on the turn around. There was a mountain of Toadstools coral (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+600+753&pcatid=753)

Tokong Laut was just ok for me. We encountered heavy currents - had to hold on to anchor line and used up 500 psi by the time I was on the bottom. We must have gone on a bad day.

Thanks for the info about the dive sites.
Yeah I've heard about Watercolours changing management so I guess we'll find out how it is once we get there. Plenty of alternatives if there's anything we don't like.

We dove T-3 this morning, vis. was down a bit, but not much current so we circled all around, thermo-clines at around 19 met. kicked the temp down to 27 or 28, while we basked up top near 30C. Diving was better a few days ago, we have had large swell the last few days, and is just starting to die down.

Yes, Watercolours is New Managers and 'all new staff' except for one girl from last year (new instructor). Won't comment on the changes but seemed quiet last night when I had dinner there.

Come check us outon the big beach at PIR,

'Former Watercolours Instructor'

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom