Best Mexican Destination for Beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dash

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Any advice on a dive location for two ~30 dive beginners from So Cal?

We are looking for ease of entry (for shore dives, if applicable), shorter boat trips, ease of location and good dive outfits.

We obviously dont want to get over our head on our first dive travel trip.

Thanks for your help.

I would suggest Cozumel. The water is great, the drift dives make it easy. There are quite a few good dive outfits.

Since you dive in So Cal, Coz will be a pleasure.

Warm or Cold water? Cozumel for warm water, Cabo is easy diving and warm. Loreto is also very nice and relaxed, warm and friendly and run by some SoCal Expats. http://www.dolphindivebaja.com/

Nothing beats a good local Baja Diving place Dales La Bufadora Dive Shop gets rave reviews.

I'd have to disagree with Wiilldd1...I don't think Cozumel is the best location for a beginner at all. Don't get me wrong, I love Coz, it's amazing; I've been there three times, and would love to go back. I just don't feel the deep walls and drift diving are necessarily right for someone who is starting out. Drift diving does NOT make it easier if you aren't used to diving in strong current...and the current can rip you along pretty good in Coz...someone who is not a strong swimmer could easily get separated from their group if they aren't able to control where the current takes them, or how quickly. (Yes, I've seen it happen.)

To be sure, there ARE some shallower reefs (shallower in the 40-60foot depth ranges) but many are closer to 90+, and the walls can easily drop deeper than 100 feet. (They actually plunge several hundred feet straight down, but the dive profiles tend to keep the maximum depth to 100-120 feet, depending on the outfit you use and the people you are diving with.) That may not seem like a big deal to those of us who dive that depth regularly (and those of you out there who routinely go much deeper) but for a beginner it can be very intimidating, to say nothing of the fact that their bottom time will likely be extremely limited, and as new divers they are likely wanting to spend as much time as possible under water.

Now, I should admit that I haven't actually spent any time diving in other Mexican locations, so I don't really have a first-hand reference for comparison. If you were just to ask me what the diving is like in Cozumel, I'd say "phenomenal, outstanding, tremendous...and Cozumel itself is absolutely wonderful." But the specific question was about a good site for BEGINNERS, and I honestly think Coz is a better destination for the diver with at least moderate experience, especially those with some previous experience diving in strong current and at depth, for it to be enjoyed fully.

I'll be in Cancun during the week of March 14-21, and while I have not dove there before, reports seem to suggest it would be a better first-time trip for the new diver. Shallower reefs, less current, with plenty still to see. Again, that is based on what others have said, NOT first hand experience talking, but I will be sure to give a trip report and post some of the video I get while I'm there.

So, by all means head to Coz if you like, I can promise you won't be disappointed, but be aware of what you're getting into, and whether it truly suits your experience and comfort level. Just my two cents.

I agree with fyshebait. I love coz, in fact I am going back next month but the good dives are not for beginners. My 15 year old daughter is nowhere near ready, but she loved Cabo. Boat dives go out 5 minutes to great sites. My daughters first post-cert dive she saw sealions, a small manta, turtles and a school of barracuda. Her next dive she saw a huge bait ball and a diving cormoran bird. Pretty amazing, easy dives. We were very impressed with Manta Divers. They were great with my daughter.

I appreciate the opinions, and I should have defined beginner better.

Neither I, nor my wife has done a drift dive before. Also, we have had a 3 month layoff for varying reasons, so what we need are warm waters, moderate depths, and easy entries.

Based on that, am I hearing that Cabo would be better for our dives? Would people agree to that, or are there other sites that fit our needs as well?

Thanks again!

I appreciate the opinions, and I should have defined beginner better.

Neither I, nor my wife has done a drift dive before. Also, we have had a 3 month layoff for varying reasons, so what we need are warm waters, moderate depths, and easy entries.

Based on that, am I hearing that Cabo would be better for our dives? Would people agree to that, or are there other sites that fit our needs as well?

Thanks again!

Cabo is cold water so not much reef action outside of Santa Maria Bay. One place you might look into is Akumal. Akumal is Mayan for "place of the turtle" and there are still a lot of turtles that nest there. Just south of Cancun, nice warm water, mostly boat dives with rides lasting generally less than 10 minutes. The afternoon dives are always shallow at 40-60 feet. The beaches are absolutely beautiful. For a good dive shop in Akumal try the Akumal Dive Center. We love the place and try to get there once a year. If you are interested in the area, here are some links that may help,

Riviera Maya Hotels, Resorts, Rentals: Mexican Caribbean Vacation
Playa del Carmen, Mexico's Virtual Guide Book : Playa.Info
Hidden Worlds Cenotes Park Yucatan Mexico Riviera Maya

Dash: As a fellow So Cal diver I will respectfully disagree with Fyshbait and Allen. If you dive in So. Cal, you are more than well prepared for the diving in Cozumel. It's very very easy compared to diving here. Trust me that if you can handle the swell, cold water, current, and surf in California, drifting in Cozumel is a piece of cake. I've dove both places, and while the diving in Cabo is also easy and very nice, Cozumel is hands down more beautiful, more dramatic, and over all better diving. If you had to pick one place and your only two choices were these two, Cozumel would win on ALL accounts.

Drift diving in Cozumel is very easy and very safe. The operations are well prepared to handle beginning divers and brief you very well about it. I was at your same level when I made my first trip to Cozumel and was more than fine. My wife had about 30 dives when she first went, with still limited buoyancy skills, some nervousness around the water, and no drift diving experience. With just a little coaching and help from the DM's she became comfortable quickly and really enjoyed it. I think the operator you choose helps, too. Dive with Martin is really really good. Christi's shop BlueXTSea is also excellent (Christi is a regular member here). You'd be in excellent caring hands with either of these shops.

Anyway, best of luck!

If you are looking on the Caribbean side, most places offered will do fine for you. Cancun offers nice diving, good reefs and marine life, and plenty of places to hang out after diving.

Give Ben@mayanaquadive.com a shout. He has an excellent operation, staff and a fast boat. Boat trips are usually around fifteen minutes or less to the site. Most of the diving is drift diving in Mexico and reefs in Cancun will run about 40ft. One nice thing is Manchones Reef just off Isla Mujeres. It's just on the edge of the Garrafon Marine Park.

Depending on when you go, there are whale sharks, plenty of manta and eagle rays, and bullsharks/hammerheads if you'd like to try something different.

A great place for clear water and a good break from the chilly Pacific. :D

Dash: As a fellow So Cal diver I will respectfully disagree with Fyshbait and Allen. If you dive in So. Cal, you are more than well prepared for the diving in Cozumel. It's very very easy compared to diving here. Trust me that if you can handle the swell, cold water, current, and surf in California, drifting in Cozumel is a piece of cake.

Good point. Diving here in SoCal is a challenge and it explains why tropical diving for us is just so nice and easy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom