Best Mask for Photography?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not wishing to hijack this thread as I feel there has been plenty of input as to the type of mask to use, but what the heck do you people think a buddy is for! We have one poster saying that they can hold your dive light and be there at your beck and call and another who says their DB is 3ft back and above all the time as if they were an obedient pet! I personally don't believe in the buddy system but that is my decision after 35 years of diving and almost 7000 dives but if I do take a buddy or team up with another diver for any reason I expect them to enjoy the dive and lead as much as they follow. New divers should be shown how to dive safely and confidently and this is achieved thru diving as a team not as a photographer and slave!

Sorry again for hijacking but this is a pet peve of mine and I felt that I should say something!

But that's why photographers dive solo, right? :)

Since the thread has covered most of the bases and has now been officially hijacked.
We have one poster saying that they can hold your dive light and be there at your beck and call ~snip~
Sorry again for hijacking but this is a pet peve of mine and I felt that I should say something!
You really have not been trained on team diving have you? No one holds your light. You use the light mounted to your own harness, that is then used for communication. A slow pass in front of your buddy lets them know you are there and are aware of what is going on. Nothing more nothing less. I call it good buddy skills. Saves the other person from having to turn their head and check on their buddy, so they can continue to take pictures.

So what exactly are you trying to say other than you prefer solo and think photogs should be solo? If someone that is properly trained wants to dive solo...go for it! :popcorn:

Reactions: Jax
Not wishing to hijack this thread as I feel there has been plenty of input as to the type of mask to use, but what the heck do you people think a buddy is for! We have one poster saying that they can hold your dive light and be there at your beck and call and another who says their DB is 3ft back and above all the time as if they were an obedient pet! I personally don't believe in the buddy system but that is my decision after 35 years of diving and almost 7000 dives but if I do take a buddy or team up with another diver for any reason I expect them to enjoy the dive and lead as much as they follow. New divers should be shown how to dive safely and confidently and this is achieved thru diving as a team not as a photographer and slave!

Ouch!!!

I think in general, photographers make terrible dive buddies, with some exceptions. I have a dive buddy that is really good at finding things.. tiny things. As we are diving in a really small area, he finds, I shoot...when diving normally, I kind of miss his skill.

On the other hand, spear fishermen make even worse buddies.. as they are carrying a spear gun and actually don't want to be near anyone.

Photographers are at least easy to find.

And my suggestion on a mask is one that fits well, is comfortable and if you have a choice, is the lowest volume (the lens are closest to your eyes.

I find little difference between the clear and black masks and often prefer the clear skirted types, less claustrophobic. The best mask I have ever owned, by far and beyond all others, the Atomic Frameless, and it happens to be black.

N

Black skirting is fine as is low volume, but fit is by miles, the most important feature of any mask.

I am one of the lucky ones, my mask never leaks but my lovely bride has gone through 15 or more masks and as yet can not get one that is leak free.

Hook me up with her Team...LOL we could do a mask exchange!!!!:D

The only mask I have ever used (besides the old round Sea Hunt masks I used to dive with) that did not leak was the Mares SEA. It is a great mask, and I still have it. I loved using it when teaching because I could see everywhere. But for photography it is way too big, and lets in too much light for me.

I have resigned myself to getting the best mask for photography and dealing with it leaking.

Heck, I had a mustache for 10 years and dealt with leaking masks because of it. :D

I have had a few problems with the Mares X-vision with the frame itself cracking and leaking (I have had one myself and about 4 friends do the same). If they made a stronger frame I think it would be a excellent mask.

I recommend that you go to a shop that has a huge range of masks and try every one of them. Dont look at the price. Try them on and see if it seals well and check how well its made like strap, frame, skirt etc etc.....

Buy the best one that fits you. I personally recommend a black skirt as I prefer and black skirt over a clear (clear when new and they go whiteish with age). Maybe you find a model which has both clear and black skirt, if you do take it outside and into the sunlight and see which you prefer. I find the black skirt suits me for diving in general and more so when I am shooting.

Once you buy a mask and dived with it a few times and it works for you, go out and buy a spare or two. I ALWAYS have a spare mask boxed in my gear bag. I have had masks stepped on and smashed, tanks dropped onto them, wash over board from beach launch.

Another note if you buy a black skirted mask keep it in a mask box as cockroaches love eating the black silicon skirts. I have a few of my favourite masks with little bites out of the edges of the skirt.

Cheers Mark

Update on the X-Vision liquidskin mid. It fits great, is very comfortable and with my beard, leaks less than other masks I've had. OTOH, there seems to be too wide a gap between the glass or the angle is funny. I have trouble looking close up with both eyes. Also, there's a weird reflection of the edge of the skirt that makes a semicircle on each lens if there is any light from above. I don't like the see through red because the extra light is distracting. I wish they made it in an opaque black. The X-Vision mid (non liquid skin) does come in black, and I may try one.

I have Aqua Lung Micro Mask with clear silicone. It's really lightweight, low volume and the glass is really close to the eyes. I love it!

Oh, and it's also available with black silicone, if needed.

Back
Top Bottom