Best LP 100ish tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UWSojourner

Contributor
Reaction score
Recently dove a Faber 100 LP and loved it. My trim was better than the 80's I was diving and needed less weight which was nice.

What is best LP 100ish tank? If this topic has been beaten to death elsewhere, just point me in the right direction. I did a search and couldn't zero in on what I'm looking for.

.......well, 'best' is a bit subjective...there are too many variables and personal preferences......but here's my 2 cents worth:
I own and dive the following tanks:

2 X Faber LP 120's (singles)
1 X Faber/OMS LP 85 single + 1 X Faber/OMS LP 85 twinset
1 X Faber LP 76 twinset
1 X Faber/OMS LP 112
1 X PST HP E7-120
1 X PST HP E8-130

I've also dove ( but don't yet own) the following:

AL 80 twinset (week of cave diving in Akumal last summer)
Faber LP 95 twinset (Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procedures) class
Faber LP 95 single ( Cozumel/ Dive with Martin )
AL 80's single (OW certification class/Rescue class)

now, as far as 'best'...... I'll limit myself to 'singles' in responding....... I'm a bit of an air-hog, so I tend to enjoy larger capacity tanks......however, I've pretty much retired my 2 LP120's, my main gripe being they're too long for my 5'8" height, which is a shame, they sure have a nice air capacity.

I'm really enjoying my OMS 112 and the E8-130......essentially identical in every way, I've discovered they're pretty much as 'long' a tank as I'm comfortable with.

I had no problems with my single LP 95 in Cozumel....my only real gripe is the lower air-capacity versus the LP112/HP130...however, they are lighter/smaller to handle, so if you're of smaller stature or have pretty good air consumption, they're a good choice. Since the LP 95 is a shorter tank, I have found it harder to reach back and be able to manipulate my tank valve.....my longer tanks are more user-friendly in that respect.

I really like my LP 85...that's a sweet little tank......nice length/balance/weight.....I think both the LP 85 and LP 95 are great choices for women (or men with decent air consumption rates).

If you're diving off boats (significant wave action) or climbing up/down steep/rocky slopes or have to endure strong surf zones...... you will probably appreciate the 'smaller' tanks to make water entry/exit safer.

In reality, you don't have too many choices for a "100ish LP tank"......there's the LP85...the LP95/98......and then the LP108/112. I prefer the 'longer' tanks as both the LP 85 and the LP108/112 are 26" tall, making them easier for me to gear up while sitting down, and trimming out a bit better in the water.....the 24" tall LP95/98 is a little shorter than I prefer in those respects, but again, that's just a personal preference.

Karl

Faber 108's / OMS 112 's (same tank, capacity figured by different methods) are both excellent and roughly the same size as an aluminum 80, only 0.75" wider. The one real advantage of the PST E8-130 (104 cu. ft. @ 2640psi) is the ability to legally fill to 3442psi, which gives you alot more gas. However, fills that high can be hard to achieve, so if your LDS is willing to overfill a Faber/OMS by just 500psi or so, the difference becomes minimal.

CRDiver:
Faber 108's / OMS 112 's (same tank, capacity figured by different methods) are both excellent and roughly the same size as an aluminum 80, only 0.75" wider. The one real advantage of the PST E8-130 (104 cu. ft. @ 2640psi) is the ability to legally fill to 3442psi, which gives you alot more gas. However, fills that high can be hard to achieve, so if your LDS is willing to overfill a Faber/OMS by just 500psi or so, the difference becomes minimal.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom