Best Kona Shore Dive for Rookies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gilbertaz

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I are looking for the best shore diving in Kona since we just got certified. Any suggestions?

I shore dove a bit in Kona in June when I was there. I really enjoyed diving at Puako, easy entry, short walk from the car, plenty to see about 60'. Place of Refuge was also a great shore dive, not an easy entry/exit, and a long walk/really crowded on weekends.

Rob

Try the King Kamehameha. It is really easy. Parking is available. It is a beach entry, just stay to the right along the wall. Once you get around the bend, get a little away from the wall. You don't want to be pushed up against the rocks.

It can drop to about 30+ feet so not so deep. I took my wife and her friends out there and we saw turtles, racoon butterfly fish, the usual guys you'd see on a boat dive.

If you go without a DM or Instructor, go to K-Mart and buy a cheap float. Just incase you end up in the boat lane.

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/TBI/index.htm

Check out Kailua-Bay.

Have fun.

Chris

The King Kam beach dive Chris mentions is easy, and a good dive, unless there's a big south swell.

It's hard to go wrong with the Place of Refuge. 150' to the water and you are in diveable depth right off the rocks. There are likely to be lots of divers as this is probably one of the best shore dives in the state. I wonder if the earlier poster missed the 2 steps entry, there are few easier entries and exits in Kona unless he did it on a nasty day vs. a good day at other spots. Another disagreement, Puako, while a great dive, might be a tough entry for newly certified divers without a guide- most of the entries require a 50 yard or more swim/wade across shallow water to the drop off, any waves will seem magnified (I've seen experienced shore divers have their butts kicked in 18" surf here) - once you get some experience, then persue this dive.

Mahukona up north is an easy dive, easy entry, but it's a long ways and probably not as nice as some of the closer stuff.

Google Dick Dresie and his "Let's go shore divin'" website for some pointers and site descriptions.

Aloha,

I love mile marker 4, my favorite shore dive spot. Just check for surf conditions, needs to be no more than 2 - 3 for west/south facing for easy access.

more info on the site here:

http://shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/TBI/Mile_Marker_4/index.htm
This is where I saw sharks mating a few months ago, then Roger from Jack's diving locker was there last week and says he saw a pregnant female :)

thanks alot for all the insight as this is our first trip to Kona...we usually stay in Maui..so thanks again

now I've just got to find a buddy to dive with because my wife was getting certified and ruptured her eardrum and cant dive when we go.

i didnt dive from place of refuge, but went there to lounge in the sun, and talked to some divers. they agreed that its hard to get in and out, lots of rocks, and lots of urchins.
i didnt see any steps either...

The steps are a bit to the north of the public boat launch outside the park, not within it. They can be hard to find if it is crowded sometimes. The "steps" are really two lava ledges that blend in with the rest of the lava shelf. We snorkled it last year, but when we come back in March we will probably shore dive it. We didnt have any urchins on the steps when I was there, but I have seen them at different tides. Come on, who doesnt want to go home sporting their "urchin tattoo" (HEHE)?

Back
Top Bottom