Best island to visit for first timer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

motspach

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys
As part of the world trip we're passing through Hawaii for a wedding on Kauai at the end of October.
We are there for a week and we'll try to sneak a few dives in. However we'd like to try another island too as we have a week not booked yet.
So, excluding kauai, what is the best "bang for your buck" island? I would love to do a manta dive but its not a must, from what I'm reading the big island tends to have the most diverse dives?

Any advice/opinions are greatly appreciated. If anyone can recommend a dive shop on kauai that would be great too.

Thanks!

Maui scooter dive with skubahawk27

Maui's an easy place to dive, wander in off a beach for cheap, go out with B&B Scuba for a great boat dive.

Seasport Divers or Fathom Five on Kauai. Both get good reviews here. I can recommend Seasport, have not dove with FF. The end of October the north side will be close to shutting down for the winter for diving (big waves) so if the wedding is near Princeville then you'll have to drive down for diving. The south side is sheltered so they dive there all year. The boats leave from a harbor near Poipu. Sheraton Caverns is the signature Kauai dive - it's 10mins. from there. Fast Lanes is another good dive.

thanks for your help guys, much appreciated

For new divers, Maui for certain is the most user friendly- lots of great sites at limited depth, with options for more. See sharks and turtles, and fish that live no where else in the world. I recommend the west end- Lahaina/Kaanapali area. Good beginner sites include Olawalu, Mala Pier, and easy shore dive at Black Rock, good shore dive at Old Airport. Boat trip to Molikini to see what 125 feet + of viz is really like is worth the cost as well. Maui for sure. We dive there a lot. Lots of shore diving, and for boats we like to use Lahaina Divers, but there are many good dive ops there.
DivemasterDennis

For new divers, Maui for certain is the most user friendly- lots of great sites at limited depth, with options for more. See sharks and turtles, and fish that live no where else in the world. I recommend the west end- Lahaina/Kaanapali area. Good beginner sites include Olawalu, Mala Pier, and easy shore dive at Black Rock, good shore dive at Old Airport. Boat trip to Molikini to see what 125 feet + of viz is really like is worth the cost as well. Maui for sure. We dive there a lot. Lots of shore diving, and for boats we like to use Lahaina Divers, but there are many good dive ops there.
DivemasterDennis

+1 for this advice! Kona is great for diving, and the mantas are there, but Maui is better for pretty much everything else and the diving is REALLY GOOD!
IMHO!

Back
Top Bottom