Best island for diving and fishing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Baroo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello!

I'm heading to Hawaii for my honeymoon in August. I'd like to get in a day of diving (wifey not a diver) and also a day of fishing (she fishes!). I'm wondering which island(s) would be best to make this happen. I'd like more advanced diving and we are both avid fisherman. We are staying on Oahu for most of the trip but will also be spending some time on Maui. I know the big Manta dive is on the Big Island but I'm not sure making the trip all the way out there is realistic.

Thanks!!!

The Hawaiian International Billfish Tournament is held annually in Kona, which has an international reputation for big game fishing.

The Big Island has more healthy hard coral reef than any of the other islands (according to NOAA anyways), and Kona has many easy to access dive sites, most of which have plenty of shallow reef and depths beyond recreational diving limits within a minute's swim of a mooring. Kona is also relatively unaffected by the tradewinds and has all day diving. What you won't find readily in Kona are wrecks. It's combination of reef life, topography and viz are tough to match.

Last edited:
If you decide to go to the big island, it would be pretty easy for you to do a two-tank morning dive, and then a two-tank manta dive on the same day. I did this same scenario when I was there my first day, and had a awesome time. The Mantas can't be missed!

Just gonna throw a line out there to get you to do it all here on Maui. World class fishing and diving and a whole lotta other good things to check out. You really can't go wrong with any of the islands here... they all got it going on!! What you really need is more time and more money and just do the extended island tour and see them all. Aside from that, maybe you should just toss a dart at the map and follow it's lead!

Hawaii-Map.jpg

Good luck choosing!

Shaka!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom