Best instructor ever!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

npaden

Registered
Reaction score
Well, my wife and I have attended our first 2 dive classes at our instructors home and I think we have the best instructor ever!

We attend a rather large church (about 1,000 with several services) and my wife met our instructor at a ladies retreat and the conversation ended up on our trip to fiji this summer and plans were made for us to attend one of the instructors dive classes. Getting a class lined up where we could be there at the same time as the instructor was difficult so she setup a class just for us! We have attended a couple classes now and are going 4 hours instead of 3 and still need a couple more hours to finish (she scheduled an extra class) because we end up getting sidetracked and talking about gear, dive locations, etc.

She's worried about us diving in fiji and wants us to be prepared for deeper diving so she offered to put in an extra weekend of dives for us and get our advanced diver padi certifcation and all we have to do is pay for the manuals at her cost! She isn't even going to charge us for the equipment rentals! (She has several sets of equipment and is letting us use hers).

Finally we were discussing buying used equipment or renting equipment in Fiji and she offered to let us borrow (as in use for free) a couple of her sherwood oasis regultor and SPG setups to take with us!

She charged us her standard rate for the open water certification of $275 each. From what I understand this is pretty average for a full class of 6 or so students with 1 instructor. She has been a master dive instructor for 8 years and really knows what she is talking about!

Oh well, I was just very happy with the progress and am very excited about our 1st pool dive next Tuesday. We are getting our fins, snorkels, masks, etc. from www.leisurepro.com in on Monday and our instructor is going to met us at the pool to help us try it all on and get everything setup right then we are going to finish the final part of our course work at her house and take the final exam. :)

Overall, I think this rates our instructor as the best ever! Needless to say she has gone WAY above and beyond! Of course we are going to get her at least a $50 gift certificate at a nice restraunt but not sure if we should do anything beyond that? We may invite her to dinner at our house in addition but that can sometimes be more of an obligation for someone to have to come to your house for dinner but still might at least give her the option. We live out in the country and I'm always looking for excuses to get people out to see my 415 gallon reef aquarium.

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

Nathan

npaden once bubbled...

Overall, I think this rates our instructor as the best ever! Needless to say she has gone WAY above and beyond! Of course we are going to get her at least a $50 gift certificate at a nice restaraunt but not sure if we should do anything beyond that?

Great to hear a good instructor experience!!! If you really want to do something extra...get her a gift certificate from either LP or your LDS.

Have fun and dive safe!!!

I'm glad to hear you're having a good experience. It sounds like she's a very nice person not to charge you extra for a semi private class and to put in extra time to prepare you for deep diving before your trip.

I'm sure she is the greatest instructor ever, but so far you haven't shared what makes her a great instructor. I'm always looking to pick up tips to make my classes better. What makes her class stand out? Classroom? Pool skills? What are you learning? I'm interested!

Back
Top Bottom