Best Housing for Oly C-Series Digicams?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gerry

Thank you for the information.....Actually B&H is where I bought the camera. :)

You do get full function of the camera with that housing , right??

Is there anything you dont like about the set up ...other than the strobe arms (what is wrong with the arms you get with the system ...sounds like a weight issue???)

Where you able to compare the two housings in person???? (Olympus to Ike)

Is the DS 50 powerful enough???

Again many thanks

Scott

Scott,

Both the Ike and the PT-010 (I have both) allow full function of the camera, including on-board flash (if you're in shallow water it works ok). There is a noticeable difference in build quality between the two, the Ike is thick walled and substantial while the Oly is not. Like I said earlier, the PT-010 is a great housing, but side-by-side I think the Ike is more durable (IMHO).

The DS50 substrobe is fine for relatively close range (within 5 feet), if you're looking for more, try two or try a DS125.

Ikelite has tremendous customer support, even before I purchased the housing they answered all questions promptly.

Good luck, you wont be disappointed with either housing.

Gerry

Gerry I forgot you had both housings!!!!!!

Sorry for so many questions but I hope to only make this purchase once!!!

The housings .....are they pretty close in size??

Have you used the Ikelite with just the one handle on the tray ....and if yes was it comfortable to use/handle????

The cameras flash .... Is that blocked somehow to prevent backscatter ..... yet allow the slave to function????

You mention purchasing a second DS50 to add to your setup.....do you feel the DS125 would be a better choice or is a single DS50 adequate to start with?????

Thanks again :thumb:

Scott:

I have the Ike with DUAL handles, which I prefer, especially for when the camera is passed down to me from the boat. Both housings are comparable in size, but the PT-010 is much lighter (the plastic is thinner).

I get excellent coverage with the DS50, but for shots that are a bit wider, two might be nice. The DS125 is also great, but I try to pack light and the DS50 is much more compact (and cost effective)

With the Ike, the on camera flash is blocked by a reflector which reflects the camera flash upward toward the strobe slave. Or, for shooting into nooks and crannies where the strbe is blocked, you can pull the reflector out of the way and use the on camera flash with good results. The PT-010 has a cloudy screen which blocks the flash, but I have not tried it out with the DS50 slave to see how it works.

Good luck in your purchase decision.

Gerrry

Gerry.......

You've been a great deal of help in this matter and Thank you for all the info...

I have been in contact with the folks at Ikelite and must say the response time is awesome!!!!

You are really making a great case for the Ikelite housing (well at least in my situation and how and where I want to use it). And yes that other flash, DS125, is quite a chunk of change also the weight/size issue has been banging around in my head. The other thing I'm not to sure about with that strobe is that nicad pack that is used to power it. I like the flexibility of using the AA and having as many sets available as I want....the DS125 has its own charger (around $120) for that gem alone.

I will most likely go with the DS50 and if need be get a second strobe down the road........most of the shots that I can think of taking at a distance will occur with ambient light anyway....

And it sounds as if you've found the single strobe to do what it needs to.

The reflector for the internal flash on the camera....I assume you can manipulate and set that underwater??

The dual handles ....did you get them from B&H packaged with the housing or did you have to buy that in addition to the single handle??

Talk to you soon

Scott :wink:

Scott:

Reflector can be used or pulled out of the way in order to use the camera's own flash and no strobe.

Dual handles came with the housing, but this was before they offered the single handle system. You should check carefully before you buy to ensure that you get the one you want (I think Ike's site gives different model numbers for each).

Best of luck!

Gerry

hi Dee, Jimmy here
You said that you use the Olympus housing for the Olympus 4040 camera. But I know that these housing only has a depth range of 30 meters. Won't it be dangerous to push it to it's limit. I plan to buy one , my only question is I usually dive at around 100 ft. depth, will the housing hold if I always use it at that depth?:wink:

Jeff Farris wrote a good review of the three housings discussed in this thread. I suspect he's one of the few people that has actually used all three housings underwater. It's an 8 page PDF file, but worth reading for those considering which housing to buy.

Housings for Oly CX0X0-Z Cameras

None of the housings is perfect, and each has it's strong points and weak points.

Boydski

gaudencio once bubbled...
hi Dee, Jimmy here
You said that you use the Olympus housing for the Olympus 4040 camera. But I know that these housing only has a depth range of 30 meters. Won't it be dangerous to push it to it's limit. I plan to buy one , my only question is I usually dive at around 100 ft. depth, will the housing hold if I always use it at that depth?:wink:

If your usual diving is around 100ft., I don't think you have anything to worry about. It's not like the housing is going to implode at 91ft. I don't mean to make light of their depth limits, but keep in mind they are covering their backside with conservative numbers. Now I wouldn't consistantly take it to well below that limit but an occasional foray to 120ft or so shouldn't be a problem. My deepest depth with mine was around 125ft. and the case groaned a bit but was OK.

One of the distributors has said that Olympus has tested the PT-010 to over 200ft. This may or may not be true but you can bet they tested it well below the limits they have placed on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom