Best House Reefs in SE Asia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's lots in the Philippines. Try Balicasag, near Bohol. The diving is very good and the accomodations were cheap, at least they were several years ago. Island is government property so there are some hassles with booking a place. Apo Island is really really good. Puerto Gallera isn't bad and you can find cheap accomodations but not sure about a house reef. Apo Reef is another really good site but only accessible by boat. Malapasqua has thresher sharks and some other really good sites but no house reef that I'm aware of.

Sogod Bay, Southern Leyte is also a great off the beaten path destination. Cheap, uncrowded and great diving. I stayed at Peters Dive Resort where they have accommodation ranging from about $10/night for a single room with shared bathroom to 30/night for an AC family cottage. Simple relaxed place and the food is good as well. The house reef is great and there are some great boat trips as well as a good chance to see some whale sharks. I spent most of my time just shore diving the house reef. The Padre Burgos jetty is a great night muck dive. You dont get many tourists so its a great place to just hang out and dive your own schedule. I dont like busy resort areas and crowded reefs so loved this place for its laid back vibe.

Good morning Gary......

I'm just leaving Malapascua, headed back to Weh..... Threshers aside, Malapascua has some cool dives. Saw my first bobtail squid and first flamboyant cuttlefish there. Loads of nudibranchs, pygmy seahorses, sea moths, frogfish etc too. There is no true house reef there tho'.

Did you guys already check out Mabul ? Scuba Junkie ?

Might catch you on Weh again soon......

Just adding another one that have not mentioned above: Maluku Divers. FYI, now Ambon starting to be known as Muck Mecca, after Lembeh as Critter's Heaven.
Its house reef has been new dive sites even for Liveaboards who do Ambon trips.

Thanks Mr Bubble Junky, Hopefully, if this stupid rock in Iceland stops burping, we hope to be in Weh by mid-late May, will rape you of more info then

Take it easy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom