Best hood, gloves and boots for semi-dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just purchased a used Mares 6.5mm Isotherm Semi-dry suit. What should I be looking for in a hood, gloves and boots that will work well with the wrist, ankle and neck seals of a semi-dry suit?

If your diving cold waters and want nice wet gloves to keep yourhands warm. Go with henderson 7mm Hyperstrectch gloves. They work great. I also ave 5mm Akona's which are nice but the hyperstretch is made really nice I can hardly tell tell the differnce in feel between the two gloves and Henderson much warmer. If your hands tend not to get cold stick with atleast 5mm.

Well, as far as the hood goes, I think it's better to have it integrated in the semi-dry suit rather than a separate piece. One less (big) seam for which water to flow.

That much said, I used heavy 7mm gloves for several seasons and ultimately realize that my hands NEVER got even close to cold, while sometimes the rest of me would be a bit chilled on some of those dives in the high 40s, lower 50s. And the heavy gloves made it hard to feel for some pieces of gear, or press a button on my wrist mounted AI computer...although they were great for grabbing lobsters.

So I switched to 5mm gloves. I haven't used them much, this will be the first full season up here in the Northeast diving with them but so far they seem fine and much better in terms of the tactile capabilities.

I just purchased a used Mares 6.5mm Isotherm Semi-dry suit. What should I be looking for in a hood, gloves and boots that will work well with the wrist, ankle and neck seals of a semi-dry suit?

Look at the waterproof line from Sweden for all of the items you mentioned above. I do a lot of diving in Rockport Mass. and you know what the water temp is there? Not above 53degrees on the hot sunny 100 degree days. I just switched to Drysuit to do my Doubles in, but if and when i go semi-dry again, i will continue to stay with my set -up we are talking about. :DThey also have a great 7mmand 5mm suit, the stitching an durability of it are unreal. Henderson has shipped out there work to China for of ourse cheaper wages and workmanship. Look at the Waterproof line on leisure pro's site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom