Best fins to push a beastly rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caveseeker7:
I'm pretty sure Pawel's Bazooka generates more drag than his fairly large Azimuth.
Just the guy to talk to. :wink:

By the way, he has some "Aliens of the Sea" clips on his website , Check it out. :wink:
Thanks Stefan,

Yes, The Bazooka can Be a Bich, Basically. Specially if you have a quick action around you or strong current. My preferred fin is Apollo XT Pro (which I have purchased with good money, BTW). I used the very first (soft) Apollo split fin just after they were released and I liked them mainly because I have soft legs :11: The XT Pro is stiffer than previous Apollo split fins and provides more thrust (at more effort).

Another thing is that a split fin requires a different kick. While a closed fin works best with a kick from the hip, split fin is most efficient when you kick from the knee. This is more natural and easier movement. I also use them with dolphin kick with good results. And, they do not stir up as much silt if you walk in them (I often take them off for walking).

It is certainly the most efficient (thrust/effort) fin out there and has replaced Force Fins in many (if not most) SF and Combat Diver groups around the world. These gus often swim for miles using rebreathers and carry heaps of other "useful" toys, such as machine guns, explosives, u/w comms and limpet mines :11: I just have to get by with The Bazooka... :D

Cheers,

Pawel
PS. My web server may be slowish at times so bear with me as I have only 512kbps upload ADSL.

Pawel:
And, they do not stir up as much silt if you walk in them (I often take them off for walking).
Isn't your head sticking out of the water when you walk? :linkz:
Or are you talking about daily life ... :D

Started with Medium Jet fins. Tried the TUSA imprex over a decade ago. Switched back to jet fins When the TUSAs broke in half. Flirted with Force fins. Moved over to Twin Jets when they first came out. Gave those up when they ripped. Tried Apollo split fins (the black ones). By tried I mean I dived them every day till they ripped out as well. Mares Plana and Avanti HP full foots came next. The borrowed a set of cheap Sea Sport snorkel fins from work for a year... Now back to the XL Scuba Pro Jet fin. I've had the same freediving fins (Mares Attack) for years... Why bother you with the details? Hoping to validate my next statements.
I find there is an adjustment period between fins. The new ones never feel right at first. You have to want to adapt to some degree. It is easy to discount a new pair of fins because they don't feel right regardless of their characteristics.
I don't use split fins to freedive. It's like driving a big truck with no payload around in 1st gear. I don't use stiff freedive fins for diving rebreathers or doubles. Split fins are great on RB because you can bump your kick cycle up without an increase in air consumption. I like stiffer splits like the Atomic for that application.
Switching back and forth between XL Jets and Splits while pushing a MK 15 is the biggest challenge for me. Too much split fin use and I loose the muscle to kick the jets. All jet and no split and it feels like I'm winded when I wind up my kick cycle for the splits. The morale of this diatribe... Find something that works for your application and stick with it. Oh and don't let the weird switch up feelings put you off of a particular fin. Ride it out and see how you like it after a month or two.
Leave the lift vs drag stuff to fighter jocks and cross dressers...

Pssst - this thread is over two years old.

So in this thread SS already has a sleek rebreather, while in other concurrent threads he's asking for a manual on how to use one, how to make one, etc...

Must be a school holiday in the states today?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom