Best fins for wrecks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clammy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Best fins for wrecks, opinion please! GO!

(Actually I'm trying to figure out if Turtle fins or Power fins, both from XS Scuba, were better.)

The best fins to use outside of a wreck are whatever you think the best fins are for open water diving. I happen to like jet fins.

The best fins to use inside a wreck are no fins. Since removing your fins is probably not a good option, keeping your feet away from everything and keeping your feet still while you pull and glide will result in the least amount of silt and debris mucking up the visibility.

I do a lot of wreck diving with my jets, of course some people call the wrecks I'm diving fishing boats...
Anyway the jets handle all the scraping, pushing, and standing on them I do while removing crab line or whatever else from boats. They also do well for all my other diving needs.

I like my OMS Slipstreams...sim. in design to Turtles.

well, I'm trying to decide between the turtle or similar to power fins which are just narrower versions.

For inside the wreck, same as a cave: Slipstreams, Turtles, Jet Fins, etc. And learn how to do a modified frog kick as well. If you have been using split fins for a while, you will have been spoiled though. On your way to the wreck, you'll feel like your in molasses, but once it side, they are great.

Jet fins are the gold standard as they are very durable take abrasion extremely well and are very ammenable to frog kicks that are used in overhead situations. Also with a good set of spring straps they have no hardware to snag inside a wreck.

OMS Slipstreams are the same thing but with with monoprene rather than neoprene rubber construction. They are lighter and stiffer but feel pretty much the same in the water. They are a bit stiffer and they back kick slightly better. I prefer them in caves as they are lighter and make it slightly easier to keep your feet up behind you. They are however much less abrasion resistant and my 6 month old Slipstreams look much more beat up than my 20 year old Jet Fins.

For wrecks it is hard to beat a se tof Jetfins.

I am not and never have been a split fin fan although I have tried several. In my opinion they lack the horse power to propel you in a set of doubles in a current and I have never liked thier much more limited frog kick and back kick abilities. They are great for recreational diving in terms of efficiency for people who lack the leg muscles to take full advantage of a power fin.

I use the Rocket 2's . Wider foot pocket then the jet fin for me.

Back
Top Bottom