Best (fast) way to remove excess wax from drysuit zipper?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I use (bee)wax on my drysuit zipper but it builds up between the teeth. What's a good, fast way to get it off?

I don't mind washing the zipper with a sponge or something if that gets it clean efficiently. I've tried a toothbrush, but that's not working for me. Toothpicking the wax is too slow. Need ideas.

Philips Sonic Care toothbrush... Believe or not, it works for me..

Otherwise, use a "Floss Picks" Easy angled design...

I leave the beeswax on the zipper. The general idea is to lubricate it, and any excess generally disappears when I wear the suit - why do you want to remove it?

I just want to remove the excess. Bob3 recommended that I use a toothbrush to clean off any visible buildup of wax because it could trap sand/abrasive material and the slide could get a buildup to the point that it doesn't travel far enough to the end to seal the zipper off. (I'm quoting/paraphrasing him by the way).

He seems very knowledgeable about drysuits, so I decided to go with his recommendations, even though you hear all sorts of suggestions. The problem with the toothbrushing is that it doesn't remove the visible buildup of wax between the zipper teeth, at least not very efficiently. Maybe the Sonicare will do the trick.

Well, you need to do what seems best to you.

But after each weekend with my drysuit I flood it in the tub at home and rinse out the P-valve, and take a close look at the zipper.

Then I drain it and throw it on the drysuit dryer for a couple days.

Then I run the beeswax over the zipper and fold and pack the thing.

Then I dive it - and repeat the process.

I got the DUI 450 drysuit in 2002 and she's doing just fine in 2007...and I've never toothbrushed the zipper. OTOH, I make an effort not to roll around in the grit. But even when cave diving (and rolling around in the grit) I never noticed a lot of sand in the zipper teeth. I'd suggest you rinse it well in the tub and do your toothbrush thing there, and then not worry that much about it. Unless you're diving in some nasty water, I can't imagine that you've got that much to worry about - that said, I defer to Bob3's experience with drysuits. Perhaps he's seen a different set of circumstances.

Best,

Doc

I leave the beeswax on the zipper. The general idea is to lubricate it, and any excess generally disappears when I wear the suit - why do you want to remove it?

Yup - works for me too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom