Best diving season - Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erik337

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I have decided to take a diving trip to Belize and would like to know the best month to go. I will do a liveaboard and here are my preferences from more important to less important:
  1. water clarity
  2. marine life - preference for pelagic feeders and mammals
  3. topside conditions - storms/surf
  4. water temperature - warmer is better!
  5. price

I would also like to kow if there truly is a best season, or if short-term variation in conditons often over-rides seasonal changes. I am especially interested to hear from locals or those who have dived Belize year round. Thanks in advance!

Hey Eric

Here you go

Personally i like to dive in May and the summer months calmer seas and better diving and warmer water but really diving is good all year round..

Hi,

I have decided to take a diving trip to Belize and would like to know the best month to go. I will do a liveaboard and here are my preferences from more important to less important:
  1. water clarity Feb thru May Best vis but excellent all year
  2. marine life - preference for pelagic feeders and mammals All Year
  3. topside conditions - storms/surf You will be diving within the Atolls on the liveabord so you will always have a calm site to dive as the boat can get on a lee side always
  4. water temperature - warmer is better! July thru Oct but average temp all year is 80
  5. price (prices tent to be cheaper in the off season May thru end Oct

I would also like to kow if there truly is a best season, or if short-term variation in conditons often over-rides seasonal changes. I am especially interested to hear from locals or those who have dived Belize year round. Thanks in advance!

Gaz Cooper

I have to agree with the previous posts. Being on a liveaboard will most likely put you on the better dive spots year round. Having worked as a Dive Guide for several years in the past I can say the worst times for me as a local were during cold front season (when the water temp dropped to 78-76 and I wore my 5mm steamer) but that hardly mattered to most guests who come from colder regions. During the "winter" months cold fronts blow in but that doesn't affect the atolls much, especially on a liveaboard since they can move to a calm spot in less than an hour. We get rain and the vis and air temperature drop below normal but you will have the comfort of doing your surface interval in your room. The activity of marine life depends a lot on the tides. You have more active fish during changing tides than slack tide and no matter how much times I dive South Turneffe I am always amazed by the schooling fish during the full moons year round. You can find the best deals and specials during the off season as Gaz mentioned. Both Belize Aggressor and Sun Dancer, the only liveaboards in Belize I know of, offer specials during this time. Check out their websites for more info. American and Continental Airlines have also been offering discounts on flights to BZE. I get regular updates and post them on our Facebook Page as soon as I have them. You can also check their websites for updates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom