best diving near Sarasota?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heidi

New
Reaction score
My boyfriend and I are going to Sarasota for the first time in June and would like to do some diving. He only knows cold, horrible, Northern California diving, so I don't think it'll be too hard to show him some magic. Regardless, where is the best diving on the west coast? Springs? Ocean? (best = GREAT visiblity, interesting creatures, warm water, not too crowded with other divers) Even if we have to drive a ways, it'll be worth it for an amazing dive. He's a beginner...this will be his 15th dive (or so). Any recommendations?

You want all of those things at the same time?! Your pushing your luck now.

Great vis = Springs or offshore a few miles
Interesting Creatures = Boca Grande Pass
Warm Water = in June, thats everywhere, it should be in the upper 80's at that point
Not to crowded with divers = thats any beach on the west coast, especially in the summer!

May I suggest a variety of dives to be able to encompass all of those aspects into it? The reason is there is so many different dives that can be done right from the beach or from boats that it a beach dive in Sarasota on the Sugar Barge and beach dive a few miles down the coast at Venice beach will yeild two completely different dives in a nearly similar environment. Yet, diving one of the nearby springs will yeild yet another completely different dive experience.

I wouldn't recommend the pass right now. It's tarpon season, and between the sharks and the boaters it would be impossible. Maybe the Phosphate docks, but again, it's tarpon season.

Florida West Scuba School does chartering from Venice, and I believe Sea Trek in Bradenton Beach does as well. Not to mention, if you want to take a drive, Ft. Lauderdale is about 2 1/2 hours away.

You guys are welcome to join us for some local beach diving in the Pompano to Hollywood section of the east coast. Just watch the Private Trips threads. We get together almost every weekend. The diving is low stress, and we've got a great network of divers who can be there with you as you explore Florida diving.

If that's not practical, then the Springs are a nice option. The water is cooler (72-73 degrees year round), but it's extremely clear. Not much life, but the limestone formations are really nice, especially if you don't have much experience.

One of my favorite early dives was a drift dive down Rainbow River. You ride the current for a little over a mile, max depth around 22 ft, and see some nice river life, good viz (50-60 ft), springs, fossils, small caverns, etc. PM me if you want the name of a boat driver to set it up for you.

Good luck,
Grier

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom