Best Diving in Charleston Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richhagelin

Contributor
Reaction score
Going to be visiting Charleston in Aug. What are the best sites/dive operators? Any shore diving worth doing?

Rich

There is definitely some offshore diving but you are captive to the weather and an ocean that can get pretty rough at times as storms blow up. You really need to get 20 or so miles offshore.

The diving in the Charleston area is the Cooper River. It is truly an experience of a lifetime! If blackwater (vis of 1 to 2 ft), wicked currents, solo diving, and gators is not enough to scare you away, you could have an experience you'll never forget.

You'll need a good light since this is considered blackwater diving. The currents are tough, so you need to get a long screwdriver w/ lanyard so you can drive it into the bottom in order to hold on. You overweight yourself so that you stick to the bottom. Depths are anywhere from 30 - 40 ft. You essentially crawl along the bottom. The more area you cover the higher your chances of coming up with "The Big Prize".

This is one of the richest fossil beds in the world. Even a novice can find dozens of fossilized sharks teeth, fossilized bone, indian artifacts, civil war and revolutionary war era artifacts.

In my firsy dive in the river I came up with a 5 1/2" Megalodon tooth that is approx 12 million years old. One of my buddies recently found the last 39" of a Mastadon Tusk...pure ivory!

You'll become one of "The Bottom Dwellers".

Well worth trying!!

:)

Back
Top Bottom