Best Diving in Carribean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

herman:
I am a long time Bonaire fan. A lot of the stuff you hear gets blown way out of proportion. Yea, there are some thefts. Mostly those who ignore the well known rules like don't leave anything worth taking in your vehicle and leave the windows down.

Sorry to revive this thread, but I've been thinking of going to Bonaire for a while now, and the crime is the reason I haven't yet.

The statements above are typical. The Bonaire faithful swear there is no problem with crime, but in the same breath they tell you to leave absolutely nothing in your car because it WILL get robbed. Well, that sounds like the place is full of crime to me.

What about extra tanks? Can you only go out for a single dive because you can't bring extra tanks? What about a cooler with a picnic lunch? We certainly bring that stuff with us all over Hawaii and leave it in the car no problem, and you can get a lot more "out there" on Hawaii than Bonaire.

Basically, it seems like the defenders of Bonaire are being apologists. These issues seem like a real drag to me, and it's why I (and I imagine others) have not brought our money to Bonaire. Why can't they get it under control on such a small island?

I'd really appreciate it if someone could clarify the above questions in an unbiased way. (IE don't tell me 'It's like anywhere...you just have to be cautious', because I leave stuff in my car all the time when on vacation and at home with zero worries) If I can't bring extra tanks and a cooler along to dives, then I'm definitely not interested. Thanks!

I think if you do a serious comparison of crime such as murder, armed robbery, and assault & battery on Bonaire vs. on Hawaii or in northern California you'll see the difference right away, they don't have violent crime on Bonaire like they do in the other places. The crime on Bonaire is mostly petty stuff, kids breaking into cars at dive sites mostly. Hence the 'don't leave stuff in your car' advice. My wife and I were there last June and had no problems what so ever. We didn't detect any evidence that anyone had been in our truck and all of our tanks were right where we left them. Since then however I have read that the government has started roving patrols of the dive sites to reduce the problem.

At one point there was a rash of incidents where places were getting broken into and people having their luggage stolen the evening before their departure from the island. I read that a group of five or six teenagers and an older man were arrested and prosecuted for it. I haven't heard of more break-ins like this since that time.

To put things in perspective my wife and I just came back from Nassau, Bahamas. We had a great time and we would go back, but in reading the local news the week before we went I found articles about armed robberies in market places and even one or two inside a resort where a gunman walked in and robbed the bar. By contrast I found only one story of a violent robbery on Bonaire from the past several years when I was researching that trip.

I think in the end you'll find that Bonaire stacks up favorably when compared to just about any other inhabited island you'd travel to for a dive vacation.

Little Cayman is the best diving I have done in the Carribean. Can't beat Bloody Bay wall. Bonaire is also a great spot. Alot of shore diving available at Bonaire. Ya'll will have a great time and great diving at either location.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
Sorry to revive this thread, but I've been thinking of going to Bonaire for a while now, and the crime is the reason I haven't yet.

The statements above are typical. The Bonaire faithful swear there is no problem with crime, but in the same breath they tell you to leave absolutely nothing in your car because it WILL get robbed. Well, that sounds like the place is full of crime to me.

Thanks!

Ask your questions here...

http://www.bonairetalk.com/cgi-local/bbs/discus.cgi?pg=topics

Paul in VT

I too would love to go anywhere and not have to be concerned about any theft but such a place does not exist. So far I have made 9 trips since 99 and as yet have not had any trouble what so ever and have trip 10 planned for July. We routinely leave tanks, towels, shirts, old shoes and water in our truck. If I had major concerns about the safety of my property or person I would not keep returning.

Out of curoisity I found these crime stats on Hawaii, it does not look like too safe a place to me. http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/hicrime.htm

"For crimes against Property, the state had a reported incident rate of 4,955.1 per 100,000 people, which ranked as the state 2nd highest. For every 100,000 people there were 880.3 Burglaries, which ranks Hawaii as having the 13th highest standing among the states. Larceny - Theft were reported 3,570.2 times per hundred thousand people in Hawaii which standing is the 1st highest among the states. Vehicle Theft occurred 504.6 times per 100,000 people, which fixed the state as having the 8th highest for vehicle theft among the states. "

My point being that most any place can look bad if taken out of context. It you were thinking about Hawaii for the first time would you go after looking at these stats? I am not too sure I would. I guess the best suggestion I have is to come see the island for yourself and make up your own mind.

I have dived most of the places under discussion - Turneffe, Bonaire, T&C, Cozumel, Utila, Roatan, Cayman - & Little Cayman is easily the best for me. Our Bonaire trip was fun and theft-free.

I think the reason Bonaire gets more bad press about crime is largely a function of the type of diving that is done on Bonaire. Where else in the Caribbean do you load up a truck with tanks and gear and drive to dive sites, leaving your vehicle unattended while you are diving?

Sure most places have some shore diving but i have yet to dive a Caribbean locale that the majority of the diving is shore based like Bonaire. Most other places involve boat diving which typically means less exposure to potential crime. Who knows what a place like Coz would be like if most of the diving was shore based.

I like Bonaire. The major downside of Bonaire for this neck of the woods is that it is a pain in the butt getting there. I like Coz best because i think it yields the biggest bang for your buck. Relatively easy to get to, good diving, good food, good people. Everything a good dive vacation should be IMO. Its probably not the best diving comparatively speaking but we seem to get surprised by something cool every time we go to Coz.

Well, as a wise man once said, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. Hawaii is a big place, and there are no doubt places where petty theft and crime is more prevalent, thus tipping the numbers. But where I go you can leave your cooler on the beach and whatever you want in your car with zero worries.

Northern California is vast and statistics include places like Oakland. I live in the woods. Violent crime statistics about Oakland have zero relevance for me.

Bonaire is a tiny little island and there a hundreds of reports from people who have been robbed while on vacation there. You don't hear that about other destinations like you do for Bonaire.

And as far as statistics about violent crimes, I'm not worried about getting killed on Bonaire. I'm worried about some jackass stealing the spare tire of my rental car or my tanks, making my vacation a bummer and costing me a lot of money.

Sounds like they may be straightening it out, and I agree it is probably a product of the type of diving...all the more reason for the authorities to take special measures. As far as the advice to go and see for myself...nah...I don't think I need to spend thousands of dollars to go see if I get robbed. There's plenty of good diving in the world. I'll continue to do research and if I come to the conclusion that I'm not likely to be robbed, I'll go. If not, there are plenty of places that manage to control crime where I can spend my money.

My opinion now is that I have read a LOT of reports of theft from Bonaire, and it seems ridiculous that you have to leave your car open to let hoodlums rummage through it. I also still can't understand why you have to leave the car open, but tanks are somehow safe. I have read reports that suggest that the cops are involved, and on so small an island, I have trouble seeing a way they could not be involved. Otherwise, they'd solve the problem. There are a disproportionate number of reports of theft on Bonaire, so Bonaire either has a crime problem or a PR problem. Hopefully they are dealing with it either way.

PaulChristenson:

I have read that forum, but I think you will agree that it is probably a slanted group of the Bonaire faithful.

After all, if I had gotten robbed on my vacation and never intended to return to that location, I doubt I'd go register and become active on a discussion forum about said location.

Thanks for your thoughts, y'all. Your stories give me hope that someday I may visit Bonaire and have a great time. Cheers :D

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
I have read that forum, but I think you will agree that it is probably a slanted group of the Bonaire faithful.

Cheers :D

Slanted?????

Naaaaw...:D

Paul in VT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom