Best diving in and around the philippines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Malapascua for Mantas, Threshers, White Tips, Devil Rays and some chance of Eagle Rays and finally a few turtles about.
Dauin for pure macro and turtles
Sublic for wrecks

PG is where night life and diving mix . . . if you're into that kind of nightlife. Malapascua at Xmas is lively enough with various discos, parties and the likes - not exactly koh phangan but that's exactly why we like it!

I have a confession ... I thought macro meant big stuff .... guess I meant pelagic fish particularly the big guys

I've worked in Coron, Philippines, twice. The wrecks there are empty, but still very exciting dives...particularly the Irako (42m max...great penetrations), Akitsushima and Okikawa (massive oil tanker...just 12m to the main deck, and it's upright). You can take a liveaboard very cheaply (and basic) with Dive Cal there to Apo Reef; it's stunning. Most days you'll have the wrecks to yourselves, as coron doesn't see much tourism.

Malapascua is great for Threshers and Mantas. Nice island, too.

Puerto Galera has great drift diving, and deeper sites. Just full of sex-tourists, that's the problem.

I didn't like Panglao in Bohol, so didn't dive there. But can recommend Apo Island near Dumaguate. Cheaper to stay off the island and dive, as it's close to the mainland...you're not missing much by not sleeping on the island, either.

Have a great time, you'll love it.

We did PG for a week and 2 nights in Donsol with the whale sharks last March. I really enjoyed snokeling with the whaLe sharks and we swam with them for almost an hour, but Donsol is not easy to get to and there is nothing there but whale sharks. Maybe get some good diving in (we stayed at Atlantis in PG and they were great) and wait for Cancun for the whale sharks. They are so much more accessible from Cozumel or Cancun and there is so much more to do while in that area. The Scuba Board "Cozumel Invasion" is a great trip, and they offer an excursion to the whale sharks. Can't beat the deal and we had a blast on the Invasion this year and are going back. Happy trails!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom