Best diving in and around the philippines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BeeCee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm landing in Manila this xmas and looking for diving adventures. Would be grateful for some ideas from fellow divers with experience in the area.
I've got just over 2 weeks. I'm an 100+ AOW diver in my 30s, most of my diving has been on liveaboards (red sea, coral sea), more excited by macro than soft coral, budget traveler generally and not fussed about luxuries but happy to pay the $ for awesome diving. Ideally I'd like to do a week on a liveaboard then a week at a dive location with some opportunities for land activities and maybe a bit of nightlife too.

Macro = Anilao. Just on the doorstep of Manila. Most resorts there will arrange transport (approx 3000php each way for private car). Awesome macro and muck diving sites. Not much nightlife though, as the resorts tend to be self-contained and isolated.

Other than that, look for Malpascua and Moalboal (via Cebu). The best dive locations aren't co-located with great night-life.

For an additional 45 min boat ride from Batangas, Puerto Galera is another option

1. Malapascua
2. Anilao
3. Dumaguete
4. Bohol
5. Puerto Galera

You'll get macro in all places, but best in Anilao and Dumaguete. None are going to have amazing nightlife, but there will at least be some in Bohol (Alona Beach) and PG. Aren't a lot of liveaboards in the Philippines (although there are a few) outside of Tubbataha itineraries, and you're off season for that

Thanks for replies. I normally don't pre-book accomodation so as to keep options open but given it's the xmas period is this risky? Am I likely to get better deals pre-booking or negotiating when there?

Thanks for replies. I normally don't pre-book accomodation so as to keep options open but given it's the xmas period is this risky? Am I likely to get better deals pre-booking or negotiating when there?
There are ONLY handful of resorts in Dumaguette and they are not clustered together.
Malapascua have several more resorts/dive shops BUT the place is far more popular than Dumaguette.
The resorts at Anilao are all over the places and they are NOT within walking distance.
Bohol has plenty of places to choose but the demand is also very high.
PG is the place where you might be lucky without reservation but you have to look for it. You will probably be approached by some ladies on the ferry or the terminal.

Only PG and Subic Bay can really be described to have reasonably nightlife.

It is your holiday so plan ahead carefully.

I'm really excited by the possibility of whale sharks in Donsol and diving with manta rays , main reasons why this has not been raised yet?

I'm really excited by the possibility of whale sharks in Donsol and diving with manta rays , main reasons why this has not been raised yet?

1. You said you were excited by macro and didn't mention pelagics. Philippines has a huge variety of different world-class diving options. You can get the best of everything here, but rarely all at the same place.

3. You can't dive in Donsol - it is snorkelling only.

Remember your safety. I talked to 5 dive shops in Boracay last month and not one said they had O2 on the boat. Indeed, most asked me why I would want O2 on board! Dang

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers Cozumel

Remember your safety. I talked to 5 dive shops in Boracay last month and not one said they had O2 on the boat. Indeed, most asked me why I would want O2 on board! Dang

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers Cozumel
I do not know much about Boracay but some other operators do carry emergency O2.
Safety is most important and I never heard any dive operators in Philippines will censor any unsupported 100m air dive by their staffs or clients whatsoever!!

Just read the thread in Mexico section on "We found a Cantamar diver at 144 ft near La Paz Mexico". WOW!!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom