Best Diving / Accomodations in Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peterjmaerz

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello Wet Ones!

Although I live and dive in South Florida, my only Keys experience was with Amoray in Key Largo. My boss's stepson's on his way and wants to experience the best dives in the keys and stay/dive with a good and comfortable operation. Don't have more details (as in wrecks vs reefs or luxury vs practicality) .

If you'll forgive the broadness of my quest and me for being too lazy to do an extensive search on the board, I'd love to hear your opinions.

Thanks very much,

Key Largo is the best for diving diversity and also for diversity in lodging choices. The Marriott is nice, but IMHO, a tad overpriced for what you get. Then again, there are much more reasonable places, like the Neptune's Hideaway (www.neptuneshideaway.com). As far as dive operators, my favorite is Island Ventures (Capt. Brian Berry, www.islandventure.com), but almost everyone else (with the exception of Capt. Slate's, IMHO), is a good operator.

If it's "volume" of diving, then contact Brian below and he'll hook you up with the hotel. While I have yet to do Looe Key, which is said to be the best, I've done a dozen trips with Brian and it's "low stress" for sure. I always have dinner at Sundowners next door, which is one of the best in the area (great sunsets too).

Island Ventures: Brian & Carrie Berry
www.islandventure.com
P.O. Box 306, Sundowners Restaurant
Key Largo, FL, 33037
MileMarker:104.0
Email: Dive@islandventure.com
Phone: 305-451-4957 Toll Free: 1-866-293-5006 Fax: 305-453-0121

This said, I haven't heard anything bad about any of the operations down there, and I've also been with Slade and a couple of others. The local hotels are all pretty much dives.

The reason I recommend Key Largo is for the wrecks. The Duane and Spiegel Grove are fantastic - very little like them anywhere in the country. Ask for Molasas Reef for the second dive - it's always beautiful.

MIKE...buddy...whacha up to?

Hey PeterJ, Mike's right about the wrecks, but note that all those wrecks are deep, advanced dives. There are a few shallower wrecks as well, the Benwood, and the City of Washington for starters. Capt. Brian will more than likely take you to French Reef after a Spiegel Grove dive, which is also an awsome reef. And if you get a chance, ask him to take you to Snapper's Ledge. Capt. Brian discovered that reef before it got its mooring ball, and it was there where I saw the most beautiful display of synchronized swimming I've experienced thus far....5 yellowhead jaw fishes hovering 6 - 8 inchess off the sand! Talk about precision, the USMC drill team could learn a thing or two from those 5!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom