Best Dive Store with 50 miles of NYC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an office on 20th street, a two minute walk from the LeisurePro Shul. Anyone remember the old Limelight on my block?
Are you kidding? You can probably still find my DNA somewhere in the douchey thing they turned it into. Remember that deli next door and all the people standing outside drinking buckets of water at 4am?

Yes, but I never went in. I was mostly a Sub-Houston-er.
That couldn't have been in the 80's. I didn't move down below Houston until maybe 15 years ago and even then it was super-sketchy. I remember standing in the median on Houston Street waiting for friends to come back from buying crack on Stanton. Back then, unless you were buying crack, white boys didn't cross Houston.

Are you kidding? You can probably still find my DNA somewhere in the douchey thing they turned it into. Remember that deli next door and all the people standing outside drinking buckets of water at 4am?

That couldn't have been in the 80's. I didn't move down below Houston until maybe 15 years ago and even then it was super-sketchy. I remember standing in the median on Houston Street waiting for friends to come back from buying crack on Stanton. Back then, unless you were buying crack, white boys didn't cross Houston.
That "Douchey" thing was an Episcopalian church for about a hundred years. Then a drug rehab center, then a sleazy club in 1983. Remember Peter Gatien? You had to step over passed out twenty-somethings lying in their own vomit if you got there in the early-early morning. Then it became a mini-shopping mall- now it's a gym.

I have an office on 20th street, Anyone remember the old Limelight on my block?
Sure, had many a good time there and many other places in Manhattan in the good ol days 1980's / 90s. The last 2 good decades.

I have an office on 20th street, a two minute walk from the LeisurePro Shul. Anyone remember the old Limelight on my block?
Yes, I remember clubbing at Limelight during the 80's. Surreal to see dancing, drinking, and "other" activities in a former church. Happy memories.

Wow, blast from the past! I used to party a lot at The Limelight back in my college days.

There are a lot of NYC folks here on SB.
My friend was locked up for DWI around the corner from Limelight.

I might have been one of those 20-somethings.

Oh, and I meant to refer to the shopping mall thing as douchey. It is a beautiful structure and must have been a gorgeous church.

Stint as a drug rehab is fitting, though.

I know Scuba New York has both travel and tech BCs in stock, don't know about their wet suit inventory. Give them a call. It cannot hurt. They even have a pool on-site, which you can ask to use to set up your gear before hitting open water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom