Best Dive Store with 50 miles of NYC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ConeyIslander

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for a dive store with good inventory of BCDs and Wetsuits somewhere within a "pleasant" drive of NYC. I have been purchasing my new equipment mostly from the internet but would prefer to support local businesses and develop a relationship as I will need to get my stuff serviced. Both my GF and I have ScubaPro regs, but I need a new BCD and wetsuit. All of the places I have stopped into have very limited inventory. I have been going on manufacturers websites and looking for dealers then stopping in to see whats available.
Who's your guy?

Looking for a dive store with good inventory of BCDs and Wetsuits somewhere within a "pleasant" drive of NYC. I have been purchasing my new equipment mostly from the internet but would prefer to support local businesses and develop a relationship as I will need to get my stuff serviced. Both my GF and I have ScubaPro regs, but I need a new BCD and wetsuit. All of the places I have stopped into have very limited inventory. I have been going on manufacturers websites and looking for dealers then stopping in to see whats available.
Who's your guy?
Without hesitation- Scuba Network
204a Glen Cove Rd
Carle place, NY 11514

www.scubadiversusa.com

When I lived in NYC, I used Pan Aqua Diving on W.43rds St, and Adventure Scuba on York Ave. As I no longer live there, I'm not sure if they're still open but they had a good inventory of wetsuits when I first got into diving.

Good luck and safe diving.

I was Open Water certified through Pan Aqua, HIGHLY recommend them.

Did drysuit diving with Blue Water Divers in NJ, recommend them as well but their pool is VERY lackluster.

Do not recommend Scuba New York in Yonkers. Guy was very quick to talk down to me and my wife for wanting to follow the GUE track.

So update on my quest for a good dive shop in the NYC metro vicinity. I took a ride out to Scuba Network on Long Island yesterday. Very nice store with a great selection. Folks that worked there were nice as well. I am having them service my equipment and set up my octopus.
They had a nice selection of BCDs and wetsuits in stock and they even shorten the wetsuits free of charge if you purchase them there. Unfortunately they didn't have my particular size- either a XXL short or XL short depending on the brand, its not just the arms and legs that needed shortening in my case.
A few weeks ago I did stop into Pan Aqua and Scuba Network both in NYC very nice people but didn't have what I was looking for there either.
Tomorrow I will stop into Scuba.com on 18th Street and see what they have.
The hunt continues, lol.

Thank you all for the referrals and suggestions

When I lived in NYC, I used Pan Aqua Diving on W.43rds St, and Adventure Scuba on York Ave. As I no longer live there, I'm not sure if they're still open but they had a good inventory of wetsuits when I first got into diving.

Good luck and safe diving.

Pan Aqua is still there and going strong. In terms of personality and service they win hands down. They also have a pool upstairs for classes.

They might also be chartering a boat this summer for open water work in Long Island Sound.

I bought my first full set of recreational equipment and did training with Scuba Network when they were around the corner and located on Old Country Road for 25-30 years. They moved around the corner to Glen Cove Road. To me, they are a chain of stores with high prices and not really supporting small business.

If you really want to support small business with 3-4 employees where your purchase will actually make a difference to them, then I recomend

Good Life Divers
896 Wellwood Ave.
Lindenhurst
Closed Mondays

They do excellent service of all regulators there and have a pool for training. They do Tech fills, Tech training, sales of Recreation and Tech equipment, etc.
Ask for Ralph.

Back
Top Bottom