Best dive operators for still photography?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetInPortland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
@blibecap 's recent post prompted this question. While a group interested in photography can probably arrange good photo op dives with most operators, is there a particular op that you'd recommend for a single (still) photographer?

And yes, I ask the DMs, but that doesn't mean that my camera is guaranteed to be something other than an expensive entanglement hazard.

I have found that the best dive ops for single photographers are the ones that like to dive slowly. Not all divers like to dive slowly but the ones that find a fit will stick to that op or DM like glue. I found that with Living Underwater. If you are lucky enough to dive with the owner, he'll poke around slowly and help you find tiny things. But his other DMs aren't speedballs either and will wait up for me as I bring up the rear.

I have found that the best dive ops for single photographers are the ones that like to dive slowly. Not all divers like to dive slowly but the ones that find a fit will stick to that op or DM like glue. I found that with Living Underwater. If you are lucky enough to dive with the owner, he'll poke around slowly and help you find tiny things. But his other DMs aren't speedballs either and will wait up for me as I bring up the rear.

Thumbs up for Lydia!

I think the better question would be are there any specific DM's that are recommended for Photogs. With a group of mixed divers, if you are the only photog on the boat, it's not fair to expect everyone else on the boat to cater to your photography dive.

That being said, "Little Jorge" (there is shop manager Jorge, DM Jorge with a ponytail, and DM "Little Jorge") with Aldora has the best eye for micro I have ever seen. He even dives with a magnifying glass to show his divers things they would never see otherwise. He dives slow and is great to be around topside as well. Like most experienced DM's, he knows the reefs as well as the fish. Aldora's big tanks will give you extra long dives with plenty of time to look under every ledge if you want to. Tell him what you want to see, and I bet he can find it....except for the hammerhead...but that's another story. (The hammerhead has to cooperate too)

I would suggest hiring him as a private DM, that way it will be just you and him with no one else to consider about dive times, staying together, surface strategy, air consumption, etc... I'm sure it will be a dive to remember!

Good luck, safe travels,
Jay

I think the better question would be are there any specific DM's that are recommended for Photogs. ... I would suggest hiring him as a private DM
Good point, and more generically, hiring a private DM with any op would probably suffice. An expensive option, though?

Good point, and more generically, hiring a private DM with any op would probably suffice. An expensive option, though?
Indeed. Many years ago, I booked trips with an op in Hawaii strictly because they advertised on their website that their DMs went slow. It's definitely a niche market so maybe check around to see if there are ops that advertise that they "go slow". You really shouldn't have to hire your own DM if you book with an op that promises to routinely go slow.

Are you set on Cozumel? With the friggin' current's it's a pain in the keester. There are lots of places in the Caribbean with good or better diving, that are better suited to photographers. I've managed some decent shots in Coz, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

That plus you are pretty much obliged to dive in a group with a DM. That's the worst way to dive if you're trying to make some quality images.

Pedro at Cristi’s, I think it is Blue Ectasy, does a good job. He has good eyes, knows where quite a bit of the stuff is, and is happy to go slow.

My wife and I also dove some with the house shop at the Cozumel Palace. Most of the people were Discover Scuba or new OW. Usually being the sole e perienced divers on the boat, we got our own DM. And every DM there was thrilled to scour the turtle grass with us looking for macro subjects like pipe fish.

Are you set on Cozumel?
We moved to Cozumel (signed a one-year lease) in August, so yeah, I'm set on Cozumel at least for now. My old dive group from Jacksonville does (at least) a biennial trip to Roatan / Cocoview, which is much better for macro in general.

Pedro at Cristi’s, I think it is Blue Ectasy, does a good job
It's BlueXTSea, and while it's great that @Christi volunteers her time here as moderator and is a great source of local knowledge, she advertises her business model as "democratic" - they go where the majority of divers on the boat want to go on any given day (within limits). So I while Pedro may be great at spotting photo ops *IF* they are going slow, that's not much of a guarantee that the dive site will be good for still photography, and one doesn't know until everyone's already on the boat.

Back
Top Bottom