Best Dive Op Kauai?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Left_99

New
Reaction score
I am new to Kauai but have been an instructor for several years. Does anyone know which company is the best to dive with/work for?

Hard to tell "best," but take a look at Fathom Five. I really enjoyed diving with them and their instructor/DMs at least appeared to be having fun. They were enthusiastic, knowledgeable and had been at it for quite some time.

If I were an instructor and a newcomer to Kauai I'd dive with and get to know the people at Fathom Five, Bubbles Below, and Seasport. This might take a little while but will give you a first hand look at how they all operate. Also, they'll get to know you a little. I think all three are good operations, but different, so you may be drawn one way and not the other.

Best? As an employee or customer, sometimes the two are not the same. I hope you find a shop and continue to post here.
Congratulations on the move to paradise!

Aloha and welcome to Kauai :O)

Finding the best fit for you depends on a lot of things, but most especially what you are looking for as a dive instructor. There are shore dive only companies, boat dive only companies and a few companies that do both. Do you like dealing primarily with DSDs or do you prefer working mostly with certified divers? Or maybe you just want to focus on teaching OW classes? Do you want full-time or part-time? And, do you mind working the shop sometimes? Your answers to these questions will most likely narrow down your choices to 1-3 shops from the 10 or so dive operations on the island. Good luck and happy hunting!

my experience with bubbles below was horrible. their equipment was old and my bcd inflated with air (without cause) at 40 feet and shot me to the surface. very frightening. the tank continued to push air into the bcd until the tank was disconnected on board the boat. very dangerous and no explanation given. the divemaster sent up a girl in her first weeks of training and never addressed the issue with me. 2 1/2 hours of travel back from ni'ihau and not a mention of what happened. then after all that, they charged me $15 for a scuba mask that got lost in the process.

How long ago did you dive with Bubbles Below. They had some problems a couple of years ago but many have had good reports recently.

Dear Odysseybird, Wow, I'm sorry to see your posting. After discussing the charter day with the DM, the Captain, and the safety diver, we have resolve any issued that occurred between them. I apologize that there was poor communication with you. On the other hand, please be willing to communicate with us, as your hugs and goodbyes were warm and friendly, so we were surprised to see your posting. “Horrible” is a strong word to use. Perhaps you are not accepting some responsibility for your decisions and actions.
First: Niihau charters are listed on our website as dives for “experienced divers”. Niihau charters are never advertised as dives for beginner divers. Unfortunately, you chose to be with your partner who is a more experienced diver, and come on a charter over your comfort level. We ask that divers dive with us beforehand to help divers make the correct decision about going on an experienced dive charter. You two did not afford us that opportunity.
. You had panic attacks upon entering the water on dives 1 and 2, in flat calm water. The DM had to hold your hand for most of the first dive. Dive sites were altered to accommodate your lack of experience.
You lost your mask because you appeared to be uncomfortable with it on your face and needed to remove it immediately upon surfacing. This happened on the 2nd dive. When you rent gear, if you lose it, you pay for it. That’s standard policy. You were charged $15.00 for a $50.00 mask.
Your BCD was new in early 2008. Why the power inflator “stuck” is a mystery to us as it worked fine on your first 2 dives. However, it was removed immediately, a new one was put on, checked, and you will recall you went back in the water and completed the 3rd dive. The safety diver who surfaced with you is a newer diver herself, she was not directed to go up with you, she chose to be with you, as your dive buddy was not doing so. She stated that you did not panic, you were calm. The DM saw this, and so stayed with the other divers because he saw you were being helped.
Being a responsible diver means assessing your comfort level realistically before you leap into the water. We know that you and your dive buddy are good people, and we wish you and your dive buddy all the best and safest diving all over the world.

We did a two tank dive with Bubbles two days before we had a Nihau trip scheduled. We did this primarily because of the stated policy to dive with them prior to the Nihau trip. Even though we have been diving for several years, we were still glad we did.

In our case, both my wife and I did not think that she was up to the Nihau trip. We still wanted to do Nihau, but the trip, but doing so would have pushed the envelope. That's when accidents happen to recreational divers. Fortunately Bubbles let us gracefully cancel the trip due to our concerns.

I personally had a good time on the dives. My only regret is that Linda dropped a tank on her toe and couldn't lead the dive.

On the whole, however, I thought that the Hawaiian diving experience was so different from anything that I had experiecned before, that I put out a post a couple of week back about the differences.

I think next time we will do a couple of warmup dives at Kolah Landing or Tunnels before we do any boat dives.

I'll second the Fathom Five vote. This is our first trip and they are the only company we've dove with, but they seem great and we really enjoyed our shore dive. Very professional, very friendly and helpful. We'll be diving Niihau with them on Sunday, so more to follow then.

I've also heard good things about Bubbles Below, but haven't tried them yet.

Back
Top Bottom