Best dive BOAT in cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought about posting regarding his boat (since it is such a lovely, wide, roomy, well organized and well maintained boat) but I considered a few caveats. The steel tanks can be heavy for someone with mobility problems. However, I have seen how the crew handles people with such problems and usually they remain in the seats until the last minute and a crew member assists them by lifting the tank at the valve handle and supporting the weight until they backroll. Jeremy has purposely designed the boat so that the distance between the seat and the side is pretty low. However, that means that the distance from seat to floor is a little more. My 5'3" legs can barely reach the boat floor when I am sitting on the edge so it can feel a bit precarious if the seas are at all rough. I don't ever get up and sit on the edge until EVERYONE else is ready to enter and even then I have a grasp on a roof support, just in case.

Getting back in is a cakewalk since you remove your BCD in the water and a crew member takes it into the boat.

I have also seen people enter the water without tank and BCD which is handed to them and they put it on in the water. This only works if the seas are pretty calm and the current isn't running strong and not something he does frequently. But I have seen it a few times.

This is my 3rd time out there and diving with Jeremy @ Living Underwater. For any divers requiring special attention, a private DM is a great idea, and Jeremy's boats is setup for a back roll entry. Good luck!

I thought about posting regarding his boat (since it is such a lovely, wide, roomy, well organized and well maintained boat) but I considered a few caveats. The steel tanks can be heavy for someone with mobility problems. However, I have seen how the crew handles people with such problems and usually they remain in the seats until the last minute and a crew member assists them by lifting the tank at the valve handle and supporting the weight until they backroll. Jeremy has purposely designed the boat so that the distance between the seat and the side is pretty low. However, that means that the distance from seat to floor is a little more. My 5'3" legs can barely reach the boat floor when I am sitting on the edge so it can feel a bit precarious if the seas are at all rough. I don't ever get up and sit on the edge until EVERYONE else is ready to enter and even then I have a grasp on a roof support, just in case.

Getting back in is a cakewalk since you remove your BCD in the water and a crew member takes it into the boat.

I have also seen people enter the water without tank and BCD which is handed to them and they put it on in the water. This only works if the seas are pretty calm and the current isn't running strong and not something he does frequently. But I have seen it a few times.

My daughter fell in the water, luckily her BC and mask were on, from a 6-pack boat. She was sitting up on ledge, they told her get ready.... then a wave hit just as they said "Wait". Too late, in she went, no reg in her mouth. She was not happy as it scared her when she heard "wait" as she hit the water. Luckily, it was no big deal and the rest of us splashed in behind her. Since then, I am always paranoid about doing a backroll from a small boat.

Backroll can be fun, but I prefer to giant stride in if I can. I like being able to go down and back up to surface without having to roll myself around. Too many times I have done a backroll, come up and I was inches from the side of the boat!

Just my 2 cents.

robin

Another vote for Tres Pelicanos. Small personal service operation with one boat and one DM. So, she would be sure of always being on the same boat and it is a really easy boat to dive from. Servando takes excellent care of everyone....no matter what it takes.

Thank for all your reply and helping me chose the best boat. I it might not be the best dive opt on in Cozumel but they sure won me over on there customer service in only 2 emails

well im 99% sure i will be diving with Tres Pelicanos i sent them a email after reading the suggestions from the message board . I got a email that answer all my question and concerns. Top it of i got a email a hour later from the owner who wanted to make sure i understood options of how to get here in to water that they could use to make her dive most comfortable possible.

It is a newer operation, a little less than a year in business. But they have all worked and/or dove Cozumel for years. Most folks come away feeling like they have joined another family.

Once I am up on the side, I already have my reg over my shoulder resting on my chest if not in my hand or held by my teeth. (And my backup is on a necklace so I always have an air source close by) You will, of course, come up close to the boat in a backroll. We've got a few pretty good systems worked out for getting my camera to me when I'm not close enough to reach with a couple of kicks.

One tip I have learned is not to put any air in my BC. For some reason that seems to keep me away from rolling too close (or under) the boat. YMMV

My daughter fell in the water, luckily her BC and mask were on, from a 6-pack boat. She was sitting up on ledge, they told her get ready.... then a wave hit just as they said "Wait". Too late, in she went, no reg in her mouth. She was not happy as it scared her when she heard "wait" as she hit the water. Luckily, it was no big deal and the rest of us splashed in behind her. Since then, I am always paranoid about doing a backroll from a small boat.

Backroll can be fun, but I prefer to giant stride in if I can. I like being able to go down and back up to surface without having to roll myself around. Too many times I have done a backroll, come up and I was inches from the side of the boat!

Just my 2 cents.

robin

I've seen on various dives people request the smaller steel 95's versus the 120's to address the size, heavy tanks. I would think either use the tank on substitute it with additional lead weights strapped on. I have never used the 95's and not sure about weight difference compared to the 120.

I've seen on various dives people request the smaller steel 95's versus the 120's to address the size, heavy tanks. I would think either use the tank on substitute it with additional lead weights strapped on. I have never used the 95's and not sure about weight difference compared to the 120.

I ONLY ever use the 95s as I have no need for the extra air. I cannot imagine a woman, who has mobility issues, attempting to use a LP 120.

as MMM says, the LP 120 is a BIG AZZ tank, both the sheer weight as well as the length/height of a LP 120 would make it impractical for the vast majority of women, and too big/bulky for a lot of men too for that matter!

Not all steel tanks are the same. As mentioned the low pressure 120 is huge and heavy. The high Pressure HP120 is about the same size as an aluminum 80 and empty weighs only 4 lbs more yet has 50% more air. The HP 100 actually weighs less than an aluminum 80 and has 25% more air. IN both cases that is 4 lbs you can take off your weight belt.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Back
Top Bottom