Best destination for lionfish tasting ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTrin

Scallops aficionado
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As per link, I want to taste the finest lionfishes during a nice diving trip in the Carribean.

Any suggestions for a dream trip ? :)

It’s not quite the Caribbean, but I vote Key Largo. Mrs. Mac’s Kitchen has Lionfish on the menu. I always get it when it’s available. Sadly, it’s not always available.

Oh yeah, plus world class wreck and reef diving... :). (The Duane is my Key Largo favorite, and Molasses Reef on a sunny day is tremendous.)

The problem with it not always being available is that means the price is way up when it IS available....supply and demand.
I'd suggest the Caymans or Bahamas. I've been able to get Lionfish everywhere I've been, but have not always wanted to pay for it. Lionfish tempura has been my favorite so far.

Are you allowed to fish it yourself ?
Should you use a speargun for it ?

...Any suggestions for a dream trip ? :)

I have many friends that have both hunted and then eaten the lionfish the same day on Grand Cayman island. The program is run by Compass Point resort and Ocean Frontier divers. The scheduled 'culls' are once a week or more depending on staff and guests, but usually on Wednesdays. You go out on the morning boat, filling bags of lionfish and upon returning to the dock, they are cooked and prepared for you oceanside. The resort gets incredible reviews for 1st class valet service.
Dive Schedule for Boat Dives with Ocean Frontiers - East End - Grand Cayman

If you want something alittle less relaxed and more heart pounding exciting, you can come to my home port of Jupiter Florida. Because you are a guest, you are allowed to spear and harvest your own lionfish, even without a license. Take as many as you want. Now you'll also get some inspection from our local shark population which can raise your breathing rate a tad. But once back on the boat and at the dock, for a small tip, the captain/crew will help you filet the perfectly white meat to be put in a ziplock bag. That evening we have a handful of the finest restaurants that will take the bagged fillets and prepare them into a feast, usually in several different ways for you to try each. There's grilled, cajun fried, fresh ceviche, fish dip, and my favorite - Fish Tacos! Cost is quite reasonable and comes with assorted side dishes, salads and can be paired with a special bottle of wine or cocktails. You can even bring fillets back home for your friends and family to taste and enjoy if your travel provider accommodates you.

Now you just need to decide which type of vacation you want........Relaxing....or ...Heart pounding excitement !!!

Jupiter Dive Center

Home - Schooners Seafood Restaurant | Jupiter Landmark Since 1984

jc_lions.jpg

Attachments

• LF_bag.jpg
    LF_bag.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 59
I have many friends that have both hunted and then eaten the lionfish the same day on Grand Cayman island. The program is run by Compass Point resort and Ocean Frontier divers. The scheduled 'culls' are once a week or more depending on staff and guests, but usually on Wednesdays. You go out on the morning boat, filling bags of lionfish and upon returning to the dock, they are cooked and prepared for you oceanside. The resort gets incredible reviews for 1st class valet service.
Dive Schedule for Boat Dives with Ocean Frontiers - East End - Grand Cayman

If you want something alittle less relaxed and more heart pounding exciting, you can come to my home port of Jupiter Florida. Because you are a guest, you are allowed to spear and harvest your own lionfish, even without a license. Take as many as you want. Now you'll also get some inspection from our local shark population which can raise your breathing rate a tad. But once back on the boat and at the dock, for a small tip, the captain/crew will help you filet the perfectly white meat to be put in a ziplock bag. That evening we have a handful of the finest restaurants that will take the bagged fillets and prepare them into a feast, usually in several different ways for you to try each. There's grilled, cajun fried, fresh ceviche, fish dip, and my favorite - Fish Tacos! Cost is quite reasonable and comes with assorted side dishes, salads and can be paired with a special bottle of wine or cocktails. You can even bring fillets back home for your friends and family to taste and enjoy if your travel provider accommodates you.

Now you just need to decide which type of vacation you want........Relaxing....or ...Heart pounding excitement !!!

Jupiter Dive Center

Home - Schooners Seafood Restaurant | Jupiter Landmark Since 1984

View attachment 499355
You know I never considered going to Florida, because I live in the UK and thought if I fly that far I may want to go to a destination like the Caribbean or South East Asia ... but you really make me want to go there now :)

We haven’t seen nearly as many lately here in Cayman. Almost every op has divers hunting and many run culling trips but the numbers are way down. When you see a restaurant that has them permanently on the menu, they are probably imported. We used to bring the fixings for ceviche on the boat and serve what was caught on the first dive on the surface interval. Can’t get much fresher than that!

Brigadoon on Saba! We also dove with David the co-owner and chef at Sol Food Curacao. We helped point out the fish, he caught them and brought us ceviche the next day on the boat and we ate it a the restaurant. Both great places to dive as well!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom