Best Curacao shore dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couple of disclaimers here....
I like not carrying tanks around and go for the ease of Alice In Wonderland but Gustele is right, Westpunt Bay/Piscado is an extension of the same reef and just as nice. Throw in exploring under the fishing boats on the way in and it adds another aspect. I snorkel from the dive shop home.
I once did not go on a boat dive in Puerto Rico because of conditions. When David got back he said a woman had slipped on the ladder. She did not fall off but the ladder scraped her shins. This is always in the back of my usually carefree brain. The East Coast is almost never flat and the "getting hit with a ladder or boat" scare is just another reason not to go with Ocean Encounters.
We went with Neils of Dive Charter Curacao. I'd like to be real cool and say I leaped from the helicopter but, no... we went on his Zodiac. The seas were rough and we never made it to the point. Our first dive was near The lagoon at the end of the island. We spent our surface interval in the lagoon looking at giant star fish. This was my favorite of our 2 dives; with large elk horn, stag horn, even pillar corals and different varieties of fish I had to look up when we got home. Our second dive was near Awa Blanku. It was another spectacular dive with nurse sharks, the biggest porcupine fish I've ever seen and my first ever sighting of a manta ray. The seas were rougher when we surfaced and it was a challenging experience to get into the boat. Lets just say Neils and his crew have very strong arm muscles....
Would we go again? Not just the 2 of us. I am an admittedly not a 6AM kinda girl. With the morning traffic, it's an hour and a half from Westpunt. But with friends looking for something special, most likely. There were 6 of us. We had all been diving together, had great air consumption and were not likely to panic so we had 2 fantastic 70 to 75 minute dives.
We'll go with JD and family to San Juan this year and wait until the boys are a little bigger before taking them to the East Point.
One other note. Ocean Encounters will be the dive op at the New Hyatt in Santa Barbara. I would like to think they would go to the farther east end sites often. I would estimate that leaving from the Hyatt instead of Lions Dive would cut off 45 minutes of boat time, one way. Neils leaves from Spanish Waters near the Hyatt.

Oh, BTW Playa Piscado/Westpunt Bay is also in front of All West. I'm surprised it wasn't JD's favorite as we could see his lights in the water almost every night.
Gustele, like you I go right but David always goes to the left. We went even farther left from Marazul once and I remember it being a pretty clean dive as well.

I didn't pick a favorite yet:D

I do like spending a good bit of the night hanging out in the bay behind the apartments, though.

Curacao's Best Dives are,

Shore Dives:
- Watamula, but make sure the current is running the right way and use a guide, probably better done from a boat (Dive Charter Curacao).
- Seldom Reef, as the name implies it can only be dived in good sea conditions, and is difficult to get to, also possible from a boat.
- Barracuda Point, enter the water opposite Barbara beach and drift around to Directors bay, stay at 30ft. and it's a 75 minute drift depending on current.

Boat Dives (all dived only by Dive Charter Curacao):
- East Point, The Love Cave & Tarpon Bridge, located is on the north eastern tip of the island and is spectacular.
- East Point, Eagle Ray Alley, located outside the lagoon Awa di Oostpunt, the name is the reason why this is a great dive.
- East Point, Awa Blanku, located outside the lagoon Awa Blanku, great for Nurse sharks, Rays and Turtles, plus the pristine coral of course.
- North Coast, Playa Conoa and The Pipe, these sites are for the more advanced diver and offer a complete contrast to the reefs on the south side of the island.

I've done more than a thousand dives in Curacao and the above are my favourites, that's not to say there aren't many other great sites around the island!!

Enjoy diving Curacao!!!!!!

Nivek:

Enjoyed the East Point dives with you last week and am planning on doing the Barracuda Point dive next trip.

Not to be redundant, but Playa Kalki and Watamula wins again!! Absolutly my favorites!

porto marie
vaarsenbai
tug boat
superior producer

Boat dive - SELDOM, just east of Rif St Marie, fantastic topography in a pristine environment. Possible by shore but hassle to get permission to open gates and the shelf going into the water can only be attempted when the wind and seas are calm.

Shore - the whole stretch between Porto Marie to and including San Juan, about 6-7 sites. San Juan is a fantastic isolated beach as well!

The best dive site is hard to say. There are 65 listed divespots. And some local guides can show you about 25 spots we're ypu'll almost be alone. That means yes the places were everybody dives are not always the best ones. And the reef is different from west to east. Because of the diversity of the reef it's hard to really tell what's the best divespot. I've dove all the cost of Curacao and stil when I enter the water I find new things on the reef. So I'll vote for the Curacao Reef instead for just one spot.

We just got back from a week at Lodge Kura Hulanda and diving with Ocean Encounters West. This was a very, very good trip. Best boat dive was Watamula but reef north of Elvin's Plane Wreck was really great. Mushroom Forest gets much hype and deserves most of it, very surreal. Playa Kalki, Alice in Wonderland is a great house reef/shore dive, very competetive with Bari Reef in front of Sand Dollar and Den Lamen off Bonaire. We liked it more to the right but the dive to the left was a real kick too. Conclusion, go to Curacao, it's a great trip.

Good diving, Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom