Best Course - and Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Newman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I recently posted to another thread, remarking that, ' most people seem to find the Rescue Diver Course the most satisfying they have done'.

But is this actually the case? What's the best course you have undertaken as a diver - and why?

Mike

Rescue definately! Not only did it show me to help others, but it enforced the ideas of self-rescue. More importantly it made me aware of what "could" go wrong, and watch for the first signs of trouble.

Now as a DM, I really, really enjoy DMing on a Rescue course, not only to revitalize my skills, but it's just soooooooo much fun being the "victim from h***"

To be honest, most of the courses I have taken to this point were not that involved for me. OW was a little better than most just due to everything being totally new to me. AOW was not a big deal at all, I already had a lot of dives including deep, wreck and night so what we did in AOW was nothing really new but, as with any course I did pick up a few new pointers. Then came Rescue. I learned a lot of new skills and had to work my butt off to do the skills. I came home dead tired 2 days in a row. My instructor tried his best to make our "rescues" as realistic as possible. My "panicked diver" ripped my mask off, removed my regulator and dunked me by climbiing on me.....I can promice you that's the last panicked diver I will let get that close to me. I had the oppertunity to perform rescues that I hope I never have to do, but I believe I can. If it does nothing else, it will do a lot to build your confidence level and overall comfort in the water. If other peoples experiences are like mine, I would suggest that it's not a course a new diver should jump righ into. If you are not totally comfortable with your gear and in the water, I would suggest you getting in some diving before taking on a Rescue course. I personally feel it's the minimum cert level all divers should get. You will be a better diver and an asset to the other divers you are with.

I had heard of ADP, & thought it sounded perfect for my husband. He did not agree. But on the morning it began last year, he heard me putting my gear in a bag & decided he'd better come to keep me from killing myself in the class.

It lasted all summer long. We learned rescue, first aid, oxygen, CPR, beach diving on a huge variety of beaches, search & recovery, conservation, diving hisotry, marine life, and so much more. In this class, I overcame some phobias & sloppy habits and became my own diver, not just someone who dove with my husband. And my husband learned enough to qualify him for an ITC that winter.

I loved doing Peak Performance Buoyancy as part of my AOW training. Before that, my buoyancy had always been crap because I simply did not have a clue! PPB taught me a lot about buoyancy control and breathing techniques. I have seen visible results in my subsequent dives: I consume less air and hovering is not so much of a problem anymore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom