Best Cleaning materials?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds good!

Does it do anything to remove verdigris or would acid still be required?

Dave C

We never bothered to think about it since a good soaking in the Salt-X seemed to loosen up the crud and a little elbow grease and soap removed all the rest. I think if you look at that green that forms on the brass parts, you will see that it is mostly being held in place by salt crystals. Once the salt is dissolved, the green will clean off fairly easily.

We just never wanted to use any acid baths anymore. We had LOTS of regulators that had cheap chrome jobs that would start flaking if we left it in the bath for any more than a minute or two. The old Scubapro second stages were the worst! Once it started flaking, we had to either finish the job and peel it the rest of the way (don't want to be breathing peeling chrome!) or condemn the part. If we caused the peeling, we would eat the cost of the new part.

Many of them came in peeling so they had been subjected to home vinegar treatments or acid baths from other dive shops.By shifting to the Salt-X, we never had to eat any more peeling chrome jobs.

I used to buy mine direct from the manufacturer ... Innovative Chemicals. However, the price was $12.95 per quart plus shipping. Boaters world sells it for $13.95 and free shipping ... a much better deal.

Innovative Chemicals Salt-X 1 Concentrate - BoatersWorld.com

If you buy over $100...

*Free shipping & handling on all new merchandise orders over $100...excludes Auction, Clearance, Oversized and Heavier Items, and UPS service to AK & HI.[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]

Otherwise, Delivery Charge ($6.95):eyebrow:

Good catch!! I did not see that. I guess the primary distributor is a better bet then.

! SALT-X Kills Salt & Salt Corrosion !

But their website is awful!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom